Burgers are normally always a big hit in our house. My husband Howard and son Ted love to sink there teeth into a big juicy meat burger. They aren’t so keen on the ‘meatless’ variety. Every so often I will try to invent a new vegan burger recipe. Occasionally I hit the nail on the head and they will love it.
For this burger I decided to use roasted aubergine which has a very meaty flavour and texture. Also I thought I would use roasted beetroot too. Beetroot has a very earthy flavour that I love. Sadly on this occasion Howard and Ted didn’t enjoy this dish. I think the roasted beetroot put them off. As for me, I really enjoyed it and I didn’t miss the meat at all.
The beetroot is optional so if you are not fans then please leave it out. I might try it without next time too. For Howard and Ted this was not a hit but for me it was delicious. What burgers are your favourites? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Baking tray
- Large saucepan
- Food processer
- Dried black beans x 200 or 2 400g tins
- Flaxseed x 4 tbsps
- Aubergine x 1
- Beetroot x 2 large (Optional)
- Mild, medium or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Ground coriander x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Onion granules x 1 tsp
- Ground sweet cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Oregano x 1 tsp
- Coriander x 1 large handful
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Firstly, if using dried black beans cook the beans as per the packet instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4 – 5.
- Peel the aubergine and cut it into large 1 inch pieces.
- Next peel the beetroot and again cut it into large 1 inch pieces.
- Put the aubergine into the baking tray and cook for about 25 – 30 minutes or until it turns a golden brown colour.
- Once the aubergine is cooked remove and leave to cool.
- When the beans are cooked remove and wash through a colander under the sink.
- Place the aubergine and black beans into the food processor.
- Add in the ground flaxseed, mild, medium or hot chilli powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground ginger, smoked paprika, onion granules, ground sweet cinnamon, dried oregano, coriander and salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the lid on the food processor and blend all of these ingredients together.
- Remove the blade from the food processor and divide the mixture into four parts.
- Wet your hands and shape the four parts into burgers.
- By yours hands the mixture will stick less to them.
- Put the burgers into baking tray and place back into the oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until they have darkened in colour.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and serve with chips and salad.
- Then enjoy.
Aubergine and Beetroot Black Bean Burgers was a big hit with me. As I mentioned earlier Howard and Ted weren’t great fans. Therefore if I make it again I think I will remove the roasted beetroot. As the beetroot has an earthy flavour it can be an acquired taste. Next time I think I will just cook the aubergine and hopefully the burger will have a more meaty flavour. However you decide to eat this burger, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx