In February of this year we went on a lovely holiday where we spent time visiting Devon and Dorset. When we were in Dorset we stayed in a beautiful flat by the sea about 5 – 10 minutes walk from Weymouth town centre. So we of course had to visit the Dorset Burger Company which is situated just outside the town centre near the train station.
It’s a great place to visit if you are in that area and love burgers. Last time I visited I decided not to order the burger as I wanted to try a new meal I had never heard of before. Mambo Chicken is a flattened piece of chicken that has been marinated in spices and served with a grilled piece of pineapple. I was not disappointed by this dish and I decided to replicate it when we returned home.
However, I thought I would probably not be able to serve my son a spicy piece of chicken so I have made my own version of this dish. I have cooked chicken in my homemade bone broth or chicken stock and I made it not as spicy for my son. It’s a fruity, sweet dish as I added the pineapple as well. It tastes like a spicy sweet and sour chicken. My son and husband both enjoyed this dish and we think it’s worth a try. Below is a video and recipe for you.
What chicken dinners do you enjoy eating? Let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large saucepan
- Stirring spoon
- Chicken breasts x 500g
- Onion x 1
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Fresh ginger x 1 inch piece
- Tamari x 1 tbsp
- Tomato puree x 1 tbsp
- Lime x 1 juice
- Chicken stock x 500mls
- Pineapple x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Red pepper x 1
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Mild, Medium or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Oregano x 1 tsp
- Spinach, asparagus or green beans x 2 handfuls
- Rice or quinoa x 200g
- Start by peeling and slicing the onion and the garlic.
- Next remove the skin from the ginger and slice thinly.
- Slice the courgette and red pepper.
- Then remove the skin of the pineapple and cut into chunks.
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch pieces and set everything aside.
- Put the large pan on a high heat and add oil.
- Spread the oil around the base of the pan with a brush.
- Once the pan is hot, add the sliced onion and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic in and fry for a further minute or so.
- Now add in the chicken and fry until the chicken has cooked.
- When the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, add in the sliced cougette and red pepper.
- Fry until the courgette and red pepper soften.
- Sprinkle over the spices and oregano.
- Continue to fry for a further minute or so.
- Pour in the stock and add in the tamari and tomato puree.
- Cut the lime in half and juice over the sauce pan using the fork.
- Bring to the boil and then leave to simmer.
- While everything is simmering, cook the rice or quinoa as per the packet instructions.
- If cooking with green beans or spinach you can throw these in five minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- If cooking asparagus then cook in a separate pan.
- When the rice or quinoa has boiled, drain and serve with the Mambo chicken.
Mambo Chicken is a great dish for the whole family to enjoy or you could eat this dinner with friends too. It’s a simple dish that is full of flavour. All the ingredients in this meal are freezable, so feel free to make double portions and serve on another occasion. As I mentioned earlier, you can use asparagus in this dish but it is a seasonal vegetable so you won’t be able to use it all the time. However you decide to eat this dinner, as always, enjoy. Thank you. xxx