Recently I made a slow cooker chicken soup and it was a delicious meal. My husband Howard and I really enjoyed this dish. Ted, my son wasn’t the biggest fan but he’s not really keen on soup. Howard was very impressed with the flavour of the chicken soup so I thought I would try to add spices and different herbs.
It has been proven that eating spices regularly can help to prevent certain diseases such as cancer. Most of the meals I cook include spices and/or herbs. It’s a great way to add antioxidants to our meals. When I cooked this dish I was a little unsure of how it would taste but the results were delicious. The spices added a lot of flavour which Howard and I really enjoyed. It’s a dish I will be serving again soon.
What’s your favourite soup? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Serving spoon
- Chicken x 500g
- Dried cannellini x 300g or 2 400g tins
- Leek x 1
- Carrot x 1
- Butternut squash x 200g
- Chicken stock x 1.5 litres
- Garam Masala x 2 tsp
- Dried mixed herbs x 2 tsp
- Chicken stock x 1 ltr
- Milk x 500ml (Your choice)
- Dried oregano x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the cannellini beans as per the packet instruction if using dried.
- If using tinned drain and wash the beans through the beans.
- Once they are drained and washed put the beans in the slow cooker.
- Cut the top and the tail from the leek.
- Slice the leek in half lengthways and rinse the leek under the tap.
- Now slice the leek and put the slices into the pot.
- Peel the carrot and the butternut squash using the vegetable peeler.
- Cut the carrot into slices and put into the slow cooker pot.
- Slice the butternut squash in half and remove any seeds.
- Now cut the butternut squash into 1 centimetre pieces and put the pieces into the pot as well.
- Add in the garam masala and the dried mixed herbs
- Stir these ingredients together until all the spices and herbs cover the ingredients.
- Pour over the chicken stock and add in the dried oregano.
- Add salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Stir all these ingredients together.
- Turn the slow cooker on for 4 hours on high and 8 hours on low.
- Once the chicken soup has cooked turn the slow cooker off, remove the lid and then leave to cool.
- When the soup is cool use the ladle to pour it into the blender.
- Now blend all the ingredients together.
- You may need to blend the ingredients in two or three batches.
- Also you will need a two litre jug to pour the batches in.
- When all the batches are blended pour in a saucepan and heat through until warm enough to serve.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Masala Chicken Soup was a hit with my husband and myself. As I said my son Ted wasn’t to keen on this dish. For me, it was an easy to cook and a great meal. All the ingredients are freezable and I made double of this meal. I put the left overs in the fridge and I ate them for lunches during the next week. The meal could also be taken with you as a packed lunch. It’s delicious with a crusty roll or my homemade chickpea flour wraps. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx