Suddenly I have become slightly obsessed with the humble potato. Potatoes are superior and I feel, they are the king of vegetables. They are loved by so many people. Potatoes can be cooked in a varied of ways and one way they can be cooked is in a slow cooker. I tend to use my slow cooker throughout the year. Even in the summer months I like to cook the dinner in the slow cooker.
Therefore I’m always trying to think of new meals to cook in the pot. Recently I have found potatoes to be a great food to cook in the slow cooker. They are a delicious vegetable that can taste great with or in a lot of different dishes. I think chilli and jacket potato is a lovely dinner so I thought I would put the potatoes into the pot instead. The results were amazing and I had to share this yummy potato dish with you.
Do you love potatoes and if so what’s your favourite potato dish? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Stirring spoons
- Dried cannellini beans x 200g
- Leek x 1
- Garlic cloves x 2
- Butternut squash x 1 small
- Carrots x 1 large
- Red pepper x 1
- Green beans x 2 handfuls
- Potatoes x 600 – 800g (preferably Maris Piper)
- Tinned tomatoes x 1 tin
- Vegetable stock or bone broth x 250ml
- Mild chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the beans in a bowl of water overnight in the fridge.
- Make sure the water covers the beans and add a little extra too.
- The next day drain off the excess water and put into a saucepan.
- Add enough water to cover the beans and 2 inches above the beans.
- Sprinkle in the baking powder and bring the beans to the boil.
- Once boiling turn the heat down and leave to simmer.
- Boil until the beans they are very soft.
- Meanwhile cut the top and bottom from the leek and slice it thinly.
- Peel the skin from the garlic cloves and slice it thinly.
- Put these items into the slow cooker pot.
- Next peel and slice the carrot.
- Cut the top from the red pepper and remove the stalk and core.
- Now slice and dice the flesh of the pepper.
- Add these ingredients to the slow cooker pot.
- Put the in the green beans.
- Peel the potatoes and cut the potatoes into 2 inch pieces and put these pieces into the slow cooker pot as well.
- Pour over the tomatoes and stock or broth.
- Sprinkle over the mild chilli powder, ground ginger, smoked paprika, ground cinnamon, dried mixed herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and turn it on high for 2 – 3 hours or low for 5 – 6 hours.
- Before the end of the cooking time cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
- Finally serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooker White Bean and Potato Chilli was a tasty dish. We ate this during the week. When we are all busy the slow cooker is a lifesaver and one pot meals are a great way to get a meal on the table without to much fuss. You can also make double of this dish and freeze the second batch for another occasion. All the ingredients in this meal are freezable. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx
[…] Slow Cooker White Bean and Potato Chilli https://googieskitchenlife.com/2022/07/20/slow-cooker-white-bean-and-potato-chilli/ […]