When I cook a roast chicken I normally cook it in the oven. I always use lemon and one herb like thyme. The day I decided to cook this chicken we were busy. That’s when I decided to use the slow cooker. I love my slow cooker, it saves me so much time and it cooks a roast chicken beautifully.
The meat cooked in a slow cooker is always so tender and juicy. Plus the ingredients like the lemon and herbs help to add a lot of flavour to the dish. When I decided to cook with several herbs I didn’t realise how much flavour and texture they would add to the meat. It was so tasty. We all really enjoyed this meal so of course we will be eating it again soon.
What’s your favourite roast and why? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Slow cooker
- Long skewer
- Fish slice
- Craving knife
- Chicken x 1
- Thyme x 1 small handful
- Rosemary x 1 small handful
- Lemon balm x 1 small handful
- Onion x 2
- Lemon x 1
- Olive oil x 50mls
- Peel the onion and cut into quarters.
- Put half the onions into the slow cooker pot.
- Prepare the chicken for the slow cooker.
- Remove all the packaging and place the chicken into the slow cooker pot.
- Then put the other half into the cavity of the chicken.
- Add the olive oil to the small mixing bowl.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze into the small mixing bowl.
- Put the lemon halves into the cavity of the chicken too.
- Chop the herbs finely and add to the mixing bowl as well.
- Add a couple of large pinches of salt and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients in the bowl and pour over the chicken
- Carefully put your hands between the flesh and the skin of the chicken.
- Rub the oil into the skin and under the skin too.
- Put the lid on and turn the slow cooker onto high for 6 hours and low for 3 hours.
- If you want the skin crispy preheat the oven to 200°C 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- When the chicken has cooked transfer to a baking dish and put into the oven for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Then remove and leave to rest for a good 20 – 30 minutes.
- Carve the chicken and serve with roast potatoes, roast carrots and parsnips and cabbage.
- Keep the juice from the bottom of the slow cooker as gravy and pour that over the chicken.
- Then enjoy.
Slow Cooker Herby Lemon Roast Chicken was a yummy night meal that everyone enjoyed! My husband Howard and son Ted love roast chicken and I don’t think they mind how it’s cooked. Although Howard does tend to comment that the chicken is a melt in the mouth meal when it’s cooked in a slow cooker. We normally always have leftovers from a roast chicken which I always freeze and use in other meals. However you decide to enjoy this slow cooker meal, as always, please enjoy! Thank you xxx