Stinging nettles have a long history. Many years ago in Europe nettles would have been used to rid the body of excess water and they would have also been used to treat aching joints. Ancient Egyptians would use nettles to treat arthritis and lower back pain. Whereas the Romans would use stinging nettles to keep warm. Throughout history nettles have been used to treat a number of aliments.
Nowadays we view this plant as a weed. Although, nettles are the most nutritious plant on the planet. Recently my mum brought me a book of herbs and I have been learning a lot about lots of different herbs including nettles. It inspired me to start forging for them and cooking with them as well. That’s when I decided to jazz up my kombucha with stinging nettles and mint tea. It’s a very refreshing drink that packed with goodness and full of flavour.
Do you drink kombucha and if so do you have a favourite flavour? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Large glass bowl
- Glass bottle with stopper x 1
- Kombucha x 1 recipe
- Nettles x 1 handful of fresh or 2 tsps dried
- Mint x 1 handful of fresh or 2 tsps dried
- Boiling water x 1 litre
- Start by making the kombucha.
- Boil the kettle and put the fresh or dried mint and nettle into the glass bowl.
- If you have picked nettles remember to use gloves until you have washed them or blanched them in water.
- Once the kettle has boiled pour over the boiling water.
- Leave to brew for 2 minutes.
- When the nettles and mint has brewed pour through the colander into the jug.
- Leave the liquid to cool completely and discard the leaves.
- Once the liquid has cooled put the funnel into the bottle for the kombucha.
- Pour the liquid in and place in the fridge to chill.
- When the nettle and mint kombucha has chilled pour into a glass and enjoy.
Nettle and Mint Kombucha is a yummy drink. It has a very earthy flavour that is refreshingly light to drink. Kombucha is best stored in the fridge and I prefer it chilled to drink as well. As this drink is very sugary I normally drink it in the morning when I take my pills. That way I also get healthy bacteria into my gut before I start my day. However you decide to drink this yummy beverage, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx