Nothing beats sausage, mash and beans and with my Dad’s mash potato recipe I have a brilliant dinner the whole family enjoys. My Dad used to make the best mash potato so the recipe was definitely going in the cook book Gifts from Grandpa. For me, making mash potato always brings back fond memories of dad’s home cooked meals. The recipe and link for the video are below so please don’t forget to take a look.
- Potato peeler
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Baking tray
- Large saucepan
- Potato masher
- Sausages x 8 (Gluten free if you have allergies like me)
- Baking Potatoes x 2
- Olive oil x 1 tbsp
- Butter or ghee x 2 large tsps
- Milk x a splash (a milk of your choice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Homemade Baked Beans x 1 recipe
- Start by making the homemade baked beans.
- Preheat the oven to 180° and put the baking tray in.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
- When the oven is preheated, remove the baking tray with an oven glove.
- Put the sausages in and place it back in the oven.
- Cook the sausages as per the packet instructions.
- Most packets suggest oven baking for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Pour boiling water from the kettle into a large saucepan.
- Place the saucepan on a high heat on the hob.
- Drop the potato cubes in and add a pinch of salt.
- Now put the lid back on.
- Bring the ingredients to the boil, then turn the heat down, and leave to simmer.
- Remove the lid if necessary.
- Cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes.
- To check the potatoes are cooked put a fork or knife in and if the potatoes fall from the fork they are done.
- If the potatoes don’t fall then leave them for a couple of minutes and try again until they do fall.
- Once cooked remove from the heat, pour the contents through the sieve and put the potatoes back into the pan.
- Now add the oil, butter or ghee and a splash of milk plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Next mash all the ingredients together with the potato masher.
- After the 25 – 30 minutes remove the sausages from the oven and serve with the mash and beans.
- Then enjoy.
Sausage, the best mash potato and beans is a great dinner. It’s simple but filling. Also you can make the beans in advance of the dinner. My homemade beans can be made and frozen in batches. Just remember to remove the beans from the freezer the night before the meal. Then it’s one less thing to make on the day. It’s a very simple and easy meal that can feed a whole family. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, enjoy.
What meals bring back good childhood memories for you? Let me know in the comment below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx