Once upon a time I never thought I would be able to eat breaded foods again. Unless, of course, I used gluten free bread. Which, to be honest, I’m not a fan. There are many different reasons I don’t like gluten free bread but I won’t write about that now. What I want to write about however, is flax seed. Ground flax seed has become my new bread crumb.
Flax seed is loaded with nutrition and I personally think, it’s much better for you than bread crumbs. (Well, it’s much better for me being gluten intolerant.) The wonderful seed is a great source of omega 3, is a rich source of fibre and it contain lots of vitamins and minerals too. Plus when it’s cooked it still has the texture of bread crumbs but with all the added benefits of the seed.
Do you enjoy chicken nuggets and would you try them this way? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Small bowls x 3
- Baking tray
- Chicken breasts x 500g
- Flax seeds x 100g
- Brown rice flour x 60g
- Eggs x 2
- Sumac x 1 tsp
- Hot or mild chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Ground sweet cinnamon or ground cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Ginger x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil or oil of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Pour the flax seed into a bowl along with the all the spices.
- Add salt and pepper to this bowl to your taste.
- Mix these ingredients together.
- Crack the eggs into the second bowl and scramble with the fork.
- Finally pour the brown rice into the last bowl.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces.
- Dip a piece of the chicken into the flour until is covered.
- Now dip it into the egg until the chicken is again covered in the egg.
- Next roll the chicken in the flax seed mixture.
- Set side.
- Continue this process until all the chicken is coated.
- Note; this is a very messy job so you may want a tea towel nearby to wipe your hands with.
- Once all the chicken is covered with the ingredients drizzle over the oil.
- Try to spread it over the nuggets as evenly as possible.
- Place the baking tray into the pre heated oven.
- Cook for about 25 – 30 minutes or until the nuggets are golden brown.
- To check the chicken is cooked cut open a nugget and if it’s white on the inside it’s cooked.
- Serve with my homemade chips and a salad or beans and enjoy.
Spicy Chicken Nuggets were a big hit in our house. We have eaten chicken nuggets with ground flax seed in the past but I wanted to try them with a few spices this time. They were delicious and it’s another recipe I will have to make again soon. However you decide to eat these nuggets, as always, please enjoy.