For me there is nothing quite like a big bowl of warm porridge in the morning. It’s one of the two breakfasts I normally eat to kick start my day. The other breakfast I love is eggs, avocado and spinach and on the weekend we make porridge pancakes. Most of the time I would pick porridge over any other breakfast though.
When I eat a bowl of porridge it gives me a warm feeling that helps me stay full until lunch time. Recently I have noticed that I have a particular basic porridge recipe. So I will make the basic recipe the night before and soak all of the ingredients in oat milk.
When you soak oats overnight, it helps to release the digestive enzymes in the stomach when eaten. Oats can be a hard food for a lot of people to digest. By soaking them you break up the enzymes and making it easier for many peoples’ stomachs. It also makes my morning a lot quicker too.
Once they have been soaked in the fridge overnight I remove them, pour the mixture into a pan and add my final ingredients. I will normally add water to the pan to help break up the oat mixture and then all I simply do is heat it up. It’s a simple dish that is so tasty. Plus lots of foods can be added or taken away from this dish. You can make it your own breakfast. Below is a video on how to make this yummy breakfast and the recipe for you.
Do you eat porridge for breakfast and if so have you tried different ingredients in yours? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Stirring spoon
- Small saucepan
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Spoon for eating
- Gluten free oats x 45g
- Ground flax seed x 2 tbsp (optional)
- Chia seeds x 1 tbsp (optional)
- Maca powder x 1 tsp (optional)
- Ground sweet cinnamon x 1 tsp (optional)
- Oat milk or a milk of your choice x 150mls
- Water x 100mls (maybe more)
- Banana x 1
- Fruit of your choice
- Honey to serve
- Put the oats, ground flax seed, chia seeds, maca powder and ground sweet cinnamon into the bowl.
- Stir these ingredients together until everything is well mixed.
- Pour over the oat milk and place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, remove the porridge from the fridge.
- Put a small pan on a high heat and add the porridge.
- Add the water to the pan.
- The porridge will probably come out of the bowl in one big lump.
- So break it up with the stirring spoon.
- Cut the banana into slice with the knife.
- Next put this into the porridge along with a fruit of your choice.
- Turn the hob on to a medium heat.
- Stir the mixture continuously until it’s warm all the way through.
- You may need to add more water to the pan if it starts to become too thick for you.
- Once it’s at a consistency you like, remove from the heat and pour back into the bowl.
- Serve with honey or a topping of your choice and enjoy.
My Basic Porridge Recipe I find to be an easy way to make sure I have breakfast in the morning. It’s delicious and it can be changed to suit your tastes or whatever you fancy on the day. In the past I have made this with prunes and dates which I also soaked in the porridge overnight. Plus I change the fruit I eat with this dish. So one day I will have blueberries and then the next time I eat it I will have mango. I just love to experiment with different flavours. You could also add more sweet spices if you wanted to. The possibilities are endless. When my husband is home and he wants to eat this for breakfast I simply double up on the ingredients. It is so simple and well worth a try. However you decide to eat this dish as always please enjoy. Thank you xxx