Now I love an egg or six a week, but I have to admit I do tend to eat too many occasionally. Yes, eggs are healthy but too much of the same type of food I don’t think is good for you. I do love an oven baked omelette filled with vegetables. It’s one food I have been craving recently. The week I made this dish I’d had my egg quota.
So I decided to try roasting Mediterranean vegetables with a chickpea flour and cashew nut cream cheese mixture. For me, chickpea flour or gram flour, as it’s also known, is a healthy alternative to egg. It looks like the same consistency as egg but has a slightly different taste and texture. Although it’s still delicious and it helps me with those egg cravings. It you love an egg or six then this is a delicious alternative and one I will be eating again!
Do you love eggs and do you think you eat to many? If so, what’s your favourite egg replacement? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me?
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Baking tray
- Mixing bowl
- Oven safe dish for frittata
Ingredients for the vegetables
- Onion x 1
- Red pepper x 1
- Aubergine x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Tomatoes x 8 – 10
- Olive oil for the vegetables and pan.
- Salt and pepper to your taste
Ingredients for the batter
- Oat milk x 250mls
- Chickpea Flour x 120g
- Cashew nut cream cheese x 100g
- Garlic granules x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to your tastes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
- Peel the onion and cut it into quarters.
- Cut the top from the red pepper and remove the seeds and stalk.
- Slice the pepper into chunky 1 inch pieces.
- Now peel the aubergine and courgette and cut into chunky 2 centimetre pieces.
- Next slice the small tomatoes in half.
- Remove the skin from the garlic and slice it.
- Put all of these chopped vegetables into the baking dish.
- Drizzle over enough oil to cover the vegetables and sprinkle over the oregano and salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Then toss the veg in the oil.
- Put the tray into the oven for about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the batter in the blender.
- Pour in the oat milk, cashew nut cream cheese, chickpea flour and garlic granules.
- Sprinkle in salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Blend all of these ingredients together until everything is smooth.
- Once the vegetables have been in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes remove them.
- Now pour over the batter and spread evenly over the vegetables.
- When the batter has been spread evenly put the dish back into the oven.
- Bake for a further 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Vegan Med Veg Frittata is a dish that is delicious served hot or cold. The frittata is great for a cold winter’s day but I can imagine it’s yummy served cold with salad and boiled potatoes on a hot summers day too. I ate this meal with chips and fried kale. My husband Howard and son Ted aren’t great fans of chickpeas so this meal was all mine. I savoured every bit and I will be making this meal again soon. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx