The other day I was writing my weekly shopping list. I went to the fridge to see what I had left. Suddenly I noticed a few small tomatoes and an aubergine. I must have been meaning to use these in a recipe. As I’m not one for waste I thought about how I could use these vegetables in my cooking. I decided to try these two with other similar mediterranean vegetables in a pesto.
Aubergines are a great source of dietary fibre and they are high in vitamins B1 and B6. As well as this, aubergines are also high in minerals and antioxidants. Overall they are a very healthy vegetable. Aubergines also have a very meaty flavour which makes them a great alternative to meat in a meal. I think this is why I buy so many.
During the week we will often eat vegan or vegetarian meals. I quite often enjoy making meals with aubergine as this meat substitute. I threw it together with the tomatoes and a variety of other vegetables and the results were amazing. It was one meaty meal we will definitely eat again. Below is a video and recipe for you.
What’s your favourite pasta sauce? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Baking tray
- Blender or Food processor
- Onion x 1
- Red pepper x 1
- Aubergine x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Tomatoes x 1
- Garlic x 2 – 4 cloves
- Pine nuts x 150g
- Rocket x 2 – 4 large handfuls
- Olive oil x 4 – 6 tbsps plus extra for the oven
- Salt to your taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
- Peel the onion and cut it into quarters.
- Cut the top from the red pepper and remove the seeds and stalk.
- Slice the pepper into chunky 1 inch pieces.
- Now peel the aubergine and courgette and cut into chunky 2 centimetre pieces.
- Remove the skin from the garlic and slice it.
- Put all of these chopped vegetables and the small tomatoes into the baking tray.
- Drizzle over enough oil to cover the vegetables and sprinkle over salt to your taste.
- Then toss the veg in the oil.
- Put the tray into the oven for about 30 – 40 minutes or until the vegetables are golden brown.
- Once they are a golden brown colour, remove and leave to cool.
- When the vegetables are cool enough to touch, place them into your food processor or blender.
- Add in the pine nuts, rocket and olive oil.
- Put the lid on and pulse these ingredients together.
- Pulse until slightly smooth and set aside.
- Boil the pasta as per the packet instructions and when it’s cooked drain through a colander.
- Set the colander aside and use the same pan to heat up the sauce.
- Then add the pasta in.
- Finally serve and enjoy.
Roasted Med Veg Pesto and Pasta was a big hit in our house. It made a delicious change from my pesto recipe which was good. My husband Howard and son Ted had to eat this with a little bit of cheese on. I ate my bowl without the cheese and I think it tastes just as yummy. The bonus is that the sauce could be made in advance of a meal and frozen. Then you have yourself a very quick meal during the week. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy.