In between Christmas and New Year is always a great time to have friends to visit for dinner. After the festivities of the day and all the cooking we may or may not of have had to do I always like to give myself a break. The slow cooker is the easiest way for me to get a large delicious meal on the table without to much fuss.
That means I get to enjoy time with our guests while the dinner cooks away slowly. I am not trying to advertise slow cookers to you but I think they are a time saving invention. Our slow cooker has been used numerous times and we think definitely think it was work the money. Especially if it means you get to enjoy more of the festive season.
What’s the best piece of kitchen equipment you have brought? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Slow cooker
- Leeks x 1
- Garlic x 2
- Sausages x 8
- Maris Piper potatoes x 800 – 1 kg
- Cannellini beans x 200g
- Rosemary x 2 large sprigs
- Dried mixed herbs x 2 tsp
- Kale or spinach x 2 large handfuls
- Chicken, bone or vegetable stock x 1ltr
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by cooking the beans as per the packet instructions.
- Once the beans are cooked put them into the slow cooker pot.
- Cut the top and the tail from the leek and slice it.
- Remove the skin from the garlic and slice it too.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 2 inch thick pieces.
- Place these vegetables into the slow cooker pot.
- Pour over the chicken, bone or vegetable broth.
- Add in the sprigs of rosemary and the dried mixed herbs to the pot.
- Sprinkle over the salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Stir all of these ingredients together.
- Place the sausages on top of the food and put the lid on the pot.
- Turn the slow cooker on to low for 8 hours and high for 4 hours.
- Thirty minutes before the end of the cooking process add in the spinach or kale.
- Stir these ingredients until they wilt down in the pot.
- Pop the lid back on for the remaining time.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Stew was a big hit in our house. My husband Howard and son Ted love sausages and this was a dish that ticked all their boxes. It’s a very simple dish to put together but the results are so tasty. The potatoes add a creaminess to the stock and the sausage cooked in the slow cooker add extra flavour too. You could also use sweet potato in this meal too. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx
[…] Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Stew https://googieskitchenlife.com/2021/12/29/slow-cooker-sausage-and-bean-stew/ […]