Recently I have been studying herbs online with a couple of other ladies. We have formed a lovely group and it has helped to inspire me in the kitchen. Basil is a fantastic herb that is packed with health benefits and it always makes a dish very tasty. I love making pesto with basil and adding it to my recipes. Basil has been used for thousands of years as a medicine. It is well known for it’s healing properties.
The reason I love it so much is for it’s stomach healing qualities. In recent years, I have been suffering from tummy trouble and I have found eating a meal with basil to be an effective tonic. Basil is an anti-inflammatory and can help to cure a number of diseases. As well as being a great tonic to me, basil helped me to cook a fantastic meal for us to eat. We loved it and we hope you will too.
What’s your favourite meal with basil in? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Baking tray x 2
- Saucepan x 2
- Plastic brush
- Cod or Basa fillet x 4 125g
- Pesto x 4 tbsp
- Parma ham x 4 slices
- Potatoes x 800g – 1 kg (large Maris Pipers in prefect for this dish)
- Broccoli x 2 heads
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Peel the potatoes and set to one side.
- Put a large pan of water on the hob, add a pinch or two of salt and bring to the boil.
- Place the potatoes in the boiling water, bring to the boil again if necessary.
- Then turn the heat down and leave the potatoes to simmer for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- If the potato falls from the knife after 5 minutes then that’s prefect.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool until touchable.
- Once they are cool enough cut them into 1 centimetre slices.
- Place the slices into a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil.
- Spread the oil as evenly as possible over the potatoes and place them into the oven for about 35 – 40 minutes.
- Half way through turn the potatoes over to brown the other side.
- While the potatoes are cooking remove the packaging from the fish and place on the chopping board.
- Spread a tablespoon of the pesto as evenly as possible over the fish.
- Now wrap the fish fillet in the Parma ham.
- Repeat the process until all of the fish fillets are done and then place them in the other baking tray.
- Put the baking tray into the oven for about 15 – 20 minutes or until the fish flakes away from itself.
- Test a corner of the fillet with a fork.
- Meanwhile chop up the broccoli and set aside.
- Put the other saucepan on the hob and add water to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and add in the broccoli.
- Turn the heat down to a medium heat and leave to simmer for 6 – 8 minutes.
- Once cooked pour through the colander and set to one.
- When the fish has cooked and the potatoes are done remove from the oven.
- Now serve and enjoy.
White Fish with Pesto, Parma Ham and Saute Potatoes was a huge hit with my little family. My son Ted, really enjoyed this dinner. Ted loved the fish, pesto and Parma. The saute potatoes were gone in about 60 second and he even ate a small piece of broccoli too. It’s not often Ted will finish all of his dinner but on this occasion he did. My husband Howard also enjoyed this dish. A great family meal and one we all enjoyed. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx