During the winter my slow cooker gets a lot of use. It’s a great piece of equipment to have in my kitchen. Slow cookers not only save time but they save money as well. A slow cooker takes less energy than a conventional oven. Food is also cooked slowly and when it’s cooked slow I feel it’s better for the body too.
In the last few months I have been cooking a variety of risottos in my slow cooker. As I have never tried it I decided to cook a black bean risotto. Black beans are packed with goodness and a brilliant substitute for meat. These beans can help with diabetes, warding off heart disease and they can help with healthy digestion as well. Plus you can add a lot of flavour to them without ruining the taste. We loved this dish and we hope you enjoy it too.
What’s your favourite black bean meal? Let me know in the comments below and please feel free to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Stirring or wooden spoon
- Serving spoon
- Dried black beans x 200g or 2 400g tins
- Onions x 1
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Courgette x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Brown rice x 300g
- Tomatoes x 1 400g tin
- Vegetable or chicken stock x 900mls
- Tamari or soy sauce x 2 tsp
- Tomato pasta x 2 tbsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Mild, medium or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Ground sweet cinnamon x tsp
- Oregano x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coriander x 1 handful
- Spinach x 2 handfuls
- Soak the black beans overnight.
- Drain the beans through a colander and rinse them well.
- Add the beans to a large saucepan and cover the beans with water and then 2 inches above that as well.
- Put baking powder into the water and turn the heat onto high.
- Boil the beans for at least 20 mins.
- When they start to soften remove from the heat.
- Pour through the colander and rinse.
- Set aside.
- Wash the rice through the colander under cold water.
- Put the washed rice into the slow cooker pot.
- Pour over the bone broth or chicken stock.
- Add in the tamari or soy sauce and the tomato puree.
- Peel and slice the courgette and add this to the slow cooker pot.
- Remove the top and bottom from the leek.
- Slice the leek and add this to the slow cooker pot.
- Remove the skin from the garlic and slice it.
- Put this into the slow cooker pot as well.
- Add in the smoked paprika, ground ginger, mild medium or hot chilli powder, ground sweet cinnamon and the oregano.
- sprinkle over the salt and pepper to your taste and stir all the ingredients together.
- Put the lid on the pot and cook for 2 or 3 hours on high or low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Once all the broth or stock has disappeared the rice will be cooked.
- It may take less time to cook, depending on the slow cooker pot, so check it after 2 and a 1/2 hours.
- Remove the lid and give it a stir.
- If there is liquid still in the pot pop the lid back on and leave for another 30 minutes or so.
- Slice the spinach and coriander and put them into the slow cooker pot
- Stir these ingredients into the rice until they have wilted in.
- Finally, serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Smokey Black Bean Risotto was so good and there were no complaints from my little family. We all enjoyed this meal and it was very easy to prepare and cook. Sadly this dinner cannot be frozen and I would suggest eating the leftovers the next day as well. When rice is frozen it can produce germs that aren’t good for the gut. That’s why it’s always good to make enough for that meal and possibly the next day too. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx