Meat and vegetables was probably once a meal of champions. There is a saying in the UK with this type of dinner it’s called meat and two veg. It’s also slang for a male’s genitals in this country as well! To be honest I haven’t really eaten a meal like this one since I was a child.
Many years ago I would often stay at my grandparents home for the weekend. I loved staying with my Nan and Granddad. My nan would always make a meal like this one. Although she would normally use mince beef and not chicken or turkey mince.
It was always a hearty meal that I enjoyed. I pleased to say. as well as taking me on a trip down memory lane, my little family and I loved this dish too. It’s one dinner I’m sure will be requested a lot. Do you have a favourite childhood meal that you can remember? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable grater
- Large grater
- Stirring spoon
- Baking tray
- Mixing bowl
- Turkey/chicken mince x 500g
- Onion x 1
- Carrot x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Dried thyme x 1 tsp
- Dried rosemary x 1 tsp
- Dried oregano x 1 tsp
- Dried sage x 1 tsp
- Green beans x 2 large handfuls
- Chicken stock or bone broth x 200mls
- Chickpea flour x 2 tbsps
- Potato or sweet potato x 800 – 1 kg
- Butter x 2 – 4 knobs
- Milk x 50 – 100 mls
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 5.
- Wash and piece the potatoes or sweet potatoes with a knife.
- Once the oven has preheated put the potatoes on the baking tray and place in the oven.
- Cook the potatoes for an hour and then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Peel, slice and dice the onion and set aside. .
- Next peel the carrot carrot and courgette and then grate them.
- While the potatoes are cooking put the large saucepan onto a high heat.
- Add oil to the base of the pan and leave it to heat up.
- When the pan is hot add in the onions and fry until they start to soften.
- Once the onions have softened add in the courgette and carrots and fry for a good 5 minutes.
- Wait for all the vegetables to soften and then add in the dried rosemary, dried thyme, dried oregano and dried sage.
- Fry for a further minute or so.
- Now add in the turkey or chicken mince and fry until they are golden brown.
- Pour over the stock and then sprinkle over the chickpea flour.
- Add in the green beans and bring the ingredients to the boil.
- Sprinkle over the salt and pepper to taste.
- Then turn the heat down and leave to simmer.
- Once the potatoes have cooked remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Then cut the potatoes open and scoop out the potato from the skins.
- Discard the skins and put the potato into a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk and a touch of black pepper.
- Once the mash is smooth, remove the mince from the hob.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Turkey/Chicken Mince, Onions, Veg and Mash Potatoes was a lovely meal that we all really enjoyed. It was a cheap, easy meal to prepare and cook. The meal could be made in advance and stored in the freezer. You can also add a variety of carbohydrates to this dish without ruining the meal. The next day I ate the leftovers with pasta and it was still as tasty as the day before. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx