My husband Howard loves a hotdog with caramelised onions. It’s one of his favourite meals and he loves to fry the onion with soya or worchestershire sauce. The onions are very sweet and tangy when cooked this way. As many of you will know I love to experiment with flavours and the ways in which we cook food.
Therefore I decided to cook the sausages and the caramelised onions in the slow cooker. I had never done this before and we were cooking for friends that night too. So I was hoping that this little experiment worked well as I had no backup plan. Thankfully all the food in the slow cooker pot cooked beautifully and it was very well received by my little family and our friends. we loved this dish and we hope you enjoy it too.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Frying pan
- Onions x 2 large
- Brown or coconut sugar x 1 – 2 tbsps
- Tamari or soya sauce x 1 – 2 tbsps
- Sausage x 6 – 8
- Oil for the frying pan.
- Start by peeling and slicing the onions.
- Put the sliced onions into a slow cooker pot.
- Sprinkle over the brown or coconut sugar and pour over the tamari or soya sauce.
- Put the frying pan onto a high heat on the hob.
- When the pan is hot put the sausages in a brown them off.
- Keep moving the sausages every so often around the pan until the are browned all the way round.
- Place the sausages into the slow cooker pot and cook for 2 -3 hours on high or 5 – 6 on low.
- Once cooked remove and serve as you wish.
- Then enjoy.
Slow Cooker Caramelised Onions and Sausages was a huge hit in our house. It was such an easy meal to prepare and cook. We ate these sausages and caramelised onions in hot dog rolls with chips. You could make this jacket potatoes and gravy too. Plus this would be a great dinner to make for a party as well. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you. xxx