When I was younger my brother Piers and I would travel to Switzerland with my Nan for the summer holidays. My aunt married a Swiss man and moved to the country over forty years ago. They had two children and we would visit every year for the summer. My nan was never the sort of person to spend money so she would always take sandwiches to the airport.
Nan would normally always take sardine sandwiches. It was the only time I remember eating sardines as a child. I don’t really remember if I enjoyed them or not. Nowadays I love this fish. Even the tinned variety too.
Sardines are packed with so many nutrients I would have to write a separate blog post. Also I release they aren’t to everyone’s tastes but in this salad they are delicious. If my nan had made this dish to take to the airport I’m sure I would have loved it!
Do you enjoy sardines or not? If you do what do you enjoy eating them with? Let me know in the comments below and please feel free to like and follow me.
- Eggs x 1
- Sardines x 1 tin
- Pasta x 75g
- Toms x 10 small
- Celery x 1 stick
- Cucumber x 1/4
- Rocket x 1 handful
- Olive oil x 2 tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar x 1 tbsp
- Honey x 1/2 tsp
- Salt and pepper to your taste.
- Firstly boil the egg for 8 minutes in a pan of boiling salty water.
- Once boiled remove from the heat and drain the water.
- Put the egg into cold water for a minute.
- After the minute pour the water away.
- Crack the egg and set it to one side.
- Boil the pasta as per the packet instructions.
- Cut the cherry toms in half and set to the side.
- Slice the celery and the cucumber.
- Pour the olive oil, apple cider vineger and the honey into the small mixing bowl.
- Stir these ingredients together and set to the side.
- Open the tin of sardines and drain any excess liquids away over the sink too.
- When the pasta is cooked drain and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the rocket, tomatoes and celery.
- Whisk the salad dressing with a fork and pour over the pasta.
- Mix these ingredients together.
- Put into a bowl and add on the sardines.
- Crack the egg and slice it with a knife.
- Put the slices on top of the salad as well.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Sardine and Egg Pasta Salad was a huge hit with me. I really enjoyed this dish. My husband Howard and son Ted are not great fans of sardines so it was just me eating this dish for my lunch and I loved it. It’s a great meal to have as a lunch or dinner too. You could make the salad dressing in advance and chop the vegetables to, if that makes it easier for you. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx