Cornbeef Hash is a popular American dish that is often eaten as a breakfast, but in the UK we tend to eat it as a dinner. The hash has been available in America since at least the 19th century. There are various recipes and in America they have ‘hash house’ restaurants that sell this dish very cheaply.
My version is slightly different to the American style hash. Firstly I used mince beef instead of corned beef. I’m not sure how corned beef is cured and I don’t want to make myself ill. Also, I have used my homemade baked beans and mash potato. OK, so it may seem more like a cottage or shepherds pie, but to me it’s still a Mince Beef Hash.
My husband really enjoyed this meal even though he looked at me strangely when I told him what we were having for dinner. I knew he enjoyed it when he told me he was looking forward to his leftover lunch the next day. We ate this meal on a cold winters night and it was the ultimate comfort food. Definitely one for a cold winters night.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pan
- Baking tray
- Onion x 1
- Mince beef x 500g
- Chicken stock x 200mls
- Oil for the pan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Homemade baked beans recipe x 1
- Mash potato recipe x 1
- Start by peeling and chopping the onion.
- Put a frying pan on a high heat and add enough oil to cover the base.
- Add the onion to the pan and fry until translucent.
- It should take around 5 minutes before the onions turn see-through.
- Now add the mince beef to the pan and fry for a further 5 minutes or until the mince beef is browned.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
- Next turn the heat down and leave to simmer.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Meanwhile make the mash potato and homemade baked beans.
- Once these are made, add the beans to the mince beef mixture.
- Pour these into a baking tray and spread the mash potato on top.
- Place the tray in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until the mash is browned.
- Serve and enjoy.
Mince beef hash is a quick and easy dinner. It took minutes to prepare and I love the fact that the final dish is all in one pot. Plus, to make this dinner even quicker, you could make the baked beans in advance of the meal and then freeze until they are needed. As I mentioned earlier my husband loved this meal so definitely one for a cold winter night again. However or whenever you decide to eat this dinner, as always, enjoy. xxx
What’s your ultimate comfort food for a cold winters night? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like, comment or subscribe to my channel. See you all soon. xxx