Many years ago, I would frequent my high street pub with my friends at the weekend. By Sunday we would normally only have a small amount of money left. None of us were particularly flush back then.
We would have enough money left for a lager and lime or a drink that is equally disgusting and one of us would buy a packet of honey roasted cashews. We thought we were posh buying honey roasted cashews on a Sunday evening.
When I thought about making this recipe it immediately took me back to the time spent in the pub with friends. It put a smile on my face and it made me giggle. So I had to make this recipe as a reminder of a simpler time in my life. I don’t think this version tasted anything like the one in the pub but for me they were a happy memory.
- Baking tray
- Grease proof paper
- Mixing spoon
- Cashew Nuts x 150 g
- Water x enough to cover the nuts
- Coconut oil x 1 tbsp
- Maple Syrup x 1 tbsp
- Salt x 2 tbps
- Soak the nuts in a bowl of water for 3 – 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 120°C or gas mark 1/2.
- Line the baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Drain the excess water from the nuts.
- Tip the nuts on the baking tray.
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan if not liquid already.
- Pour over the nuts and add the honey too.
- Sprinkle over the salt and and mix all the ingredients together.
- Put into the oven for 3 – 4 hours or until they turn golden brown.
- Once cooked, remove and leave to cool completely.
- Serve or store in an airtight container for later.
Honey Roasted Cashew Nuts really did take me on a trip down memory lane. Although the process of this recipe took a long time, it was simple to put together. It made a delicious snack but I also tried a few on my porridge in the morning. They were so yummy and I’m sure there will be a few more recipes with these nuts in soon. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy.
Do you have a pub or restaurant food you love, if so what is it and does it bring back happy memories for you? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx