My son Ted and I love fish so this is one of our favourite meals. It’s also a favourite of mine because it’s a recipe I remember my dad making when I was a child. Which is why I had to include this in my book Gifts from Grandpa. Now you can see exactly how I make it in the video link below. Plus the blog post is below too.
Once upon a time my Dad would make breaded fish for dinner. I always remember him in the kitchen with all the ingredients he needed. He would hold a piece of cod between his fingers, dip it into the flour, then roll it around in the egg and finally cover the fish with bread crumbs. Breaded fish and chips was one of my favourite meals. That was until our local supermarket started to pack breaded fish and Dad started to buy it instead of make his own.
When I quizzed him as to why he had started buying breaded fish, he told me it was always a bit of a ‘faff’ to make it. Dad did like to make his life easy but I missed his version of breaded fish. Nowadays I make my own, as I have never seen gluten free breaded fish in the supermarket. Plus I enjoy making this dish from scratch. It gives me great satisfaction but I can understand why my Dad stopped making it. However as long as you are prepared, then this meal shouldn’t take you long to make and it will be even more delicious than anything bought in the shops.
- Bowls x 3
- Baking tray
- Chopping board
- Cod x 600g 4 pieces (or about this much)
- Brown rice flour or plain flour x 50g
- Eggs x 2 large
- Ground flax seed x 150g
- Sweet Potato Chips x 1 recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and put the baking tray in.
- Start by making the sweet potato chips.
- Weigh and measure all the ingredients into the bowls.
- Remove any packaging from the fish.
- Dip the cod in the flour.
- Then in the egg.
- Finally roll it in the ground flax seed.
- Place on the chopping board.
- Repeat the process for the other three pieces of fish.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven.
- Put the fish into the tray and place back into the oven for about 15 – 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, begin to cook the peas as per the packet instructions.
- At the end of the cooking time, put a fork into the baked fish and pull gently.
- If it falls apart it’s done, and if it’s still clear then pop back into the oven for a few minutes more.
- Once it’s cooked, remove from the oven.
- When the chips are cooked, remove them too.
- Finally, drain the peas.
- Serve and enjoy.
As much as my Dad did not like the process of making this meal I find it quite therapeutic. It gives me a sense of calm and peace while making this dinner. Plus I know it’s a healthier version for my family. As well as eating this meal with peas you can have it with green beans or what’s even more delicious are my homemade baked beans. We add Tommy K to this dinner as I’m a big fan of ketchup and chips too. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, enjoy.
What fish dishes do like to eat? Let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx