During the week, as many people do, I like nothing more than a quick and easy dinner. Plus we eat meat-free on week days so I need it to be either vegan or vegetarian. Before I thought about a Vegan Kofta, I had made a Turkey Kofta which we all enjoyed. It lead me to thinking about a vegan version.
Veganism is becoming big business in the UK and other parts of the world. I know that you can now buy these in a packet from certain shops with no added nasties. However, I still love making my own and I like knowing exactly what went into it. I also love experimenting in the kitchen and sharing these recipe ideas with you. So here are my yummy Vegan Koftas for you.
Equipment for the kofta
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Food processor
- Baking tray
Ingredients for the Kofta
- Black beans x 2 400g tins
- Medjool dates x 10 – 12
- Ground flax seed or wholemeal bread crumbs x 4 tbsp
- Tahini x 2 tbsps
- Tamari x 2 tbsps
- Fresh coriander x 1 handful
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method for Kofta
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Cut the stones from the dates and put them into the food processer.
- Drain the black beans through the colander and put these into the food processor.
- Add in the ground flax seed or wholemeal bread crumbs, tahini, tamari, fresh coriander, ground cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
- If the mixture is too wet add a bit more ground flax seed or wholemeal bread crumbs.
- Or if it is too dry add a little bit more tahini.
- The mixture must bind together and form a ball in the food processor.
- Keep adding extra of each ingredient until the desired mix is formed.
- Once the mixture has formed into a ball remove it.
- As evenly as you can, divide into eight pieces.
- Now roll the eight pieces into sausage-like shapes.
- Put the kofta’s into the baking tray and bake for around 25 – 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the sweet potato pancakes
Equipment for the sweet potato pancakes
- Large bowls x 3
- Small saucepan
- Metal spoon
- Nutribullet or blender
- Frying pan
- Ice cream scoop or a small ladle
- Fish slice
- Plastic brush
- Sweet potato x 200g
- Oat flour x 200g
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Almond Milk x 200ml
- Almond butter x 4 tbsps
- Coconut oil to cook the pancakes in
- Start by peeling the sweet potatoes and cut into 2 cm pieces.
- Place the small saucepan on the hob and add boiling water to it.
- Then place the colander on top and put the sweet potato pieces in it.
- Leave on the hob with the water simmering below for 15 -20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the oat flour and baking powder.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked, add it to the nutribullet or blender
- Add in the almond butter and milk and blend these ingredients together.
- To make my life less stressful I make the pancake mix the night before ready for next day.
- I have bowls with lids on so I can put it straight in the fridge.
- Put the frying pan on the hob on a high heat.
- Put a small amount of coconut oil in the pan and use a plastic brush to cover the base.
- Take your ice cream scoop or ladle and fill it with pancake mixture and place it in the pan.
- Now wait until the pancake starts to cook around the outside.
- Give it a good minute or two minutes before flipping over.
- Hopefully they should be a nice golden brown colour.
- Wait for the other side to cook.
- Repeat this process until all of the pancakes are cooked.
- Now put two pancakes onto a plate and put two kofta’s inbetween.
- Serve with a salad or cooked spinach and enjoy.
Vegan Kofta’s were a success as my husband, son and I all enjoyed them. We ate these with a side of yummy fried spinach. It was a delicious mid week treat. These kofta’s could be made in advance of a meal and frozen before they are cooked. The pancakes can also be made in advance of a meal. The mixture can be frozen and the pancakes can too. Any leftover pancakes can be frozen too. This meal does make a scrummy packed lunch the next day. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, enjoy.
Do you like Kofta’s and if so what’s your favourite? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx