Prawns are a favourite food of my son Ted. He’s 6 and just loves prawns. So when I decided to make this prawn chilli I knew Ted would eat this dish without too much complaining. As Ted loves fish I always try to include two fish dinners per week in our menu.
These dinners are normally on a Monday and a Friday. The meals will be different most weeks but the days we eat these dinners on stays the same. I find it really helps me meal plan if I have specific days to cover.
So from Friday to Monday we have meat and fish dishes and then the rest of the week we have vegan or vegetarian. Plus if Ted knows he will be eating fish at the weekend it generally makes him look forward to these days. Ted loved this dinner and we know your families will enjoy it too. Below is a video on how to make this yummy dish and the recipe for you.
Does your family love prawns as much as my son and if so, what prawn dishes are your favourites? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow Cooker
- Serving/stirring spoon
- Large fresh prawns x 500g
- Onion x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Carrot x 1
- Butternut squash x 1/2
- Coriander x 1 handful
- Tomatoes x 1 400g tin
- Chicken stock x 600mls
- Red kidney or cannellini beans x 1 400g tin
- Chickpea flour x 2 tbsps
- Tomato puree x 2 tbsps
- Mild or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper x 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Oregano x 1 tsp
- Bay leaves x 2
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spinach, kale or green beans x 4 handfuls
- Peel and slice the onion, courgette and carrot.
- Next peel the butternut squash and cut into 1 centimetre cubes.
- Put these ingredients into the slow cooker.
- Open and drain through the colander the tin of red kidney or cannellini beans.
- Add in the tomatoes, chicken stock and tomato puree.
- Stir all of these ingredients together.
- Sprinkle over the mild or hot chilli powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and oregano.
- Finally put the bay leaves in the sauce and stir all the ingredients again.
- Turn the slow cooker onto a high heat for 3 – 4 hours or a low heat for 7 – 8 hours.
- Thirty minutes before the end of the cooking process, remove the packaging from the prawns and put them into the slow cooker.
- Finally chop the coriander and add to the pot along with the spinach, kale or green beans.
- Stir these ingredients again and put the lid back on.
- Meanwhile cook the rice, couscous or quinoa, then serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Prawn Chilli was delicious and my husband, son and I all really enjoyed this dish. It was a simple dish to cook too. I prepared all the ingredients the night before so all I had to do in the morning is switch the slow cooker on. The ingredients in this dish are freezable so you can make a big batch and freeze any leftovers for another occasion. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx