Cauliflower is a vegetable I tend to neglect and I hate to say it but I don’t really use it a lot in my cooking. I tend to always think of cauliflower cheese when I think of this vegetable. Since Christmas I have had a cauliflower in the fridge. I think I was planning to make cauliflower cheese but I didn’t get round to it. In the past week I have been discovering how versatile a cauliflower can be and how to make it into delicious meals too.
A cauliflower is an extremely healthy vegetable and it has a lot of nutrients too. It’s high in fibre which is very beneficial to the body’s overall health. Cauliflower is also well known for its anti- inflammatory effects that can help to boost the body’s immune system. In turn this might help to fight disease such as cancer and heart disease. A cauliflower is in fact a great vegetable to serve with your dinner but it’s even better as part of the meal. The tikka masala is well worth a try.
What’s your favourite curry and have you ever tried it with vegetables instead of meat? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- Large saucepan
- Small saucepan
Ingredients for the paste
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Ground coriander x 1 tsp
- Ground black pepper x 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala x 1 tsp
- Ground tumeric x 1 tsp
- Ground sweet cinnamon or ground cinnamon x 1/2 tsp
- Mild or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Olive oil or an oil of your choice x 2 tbsps
- Salt x 1 – 2 pinches
Method for the paste
- Put the ground cumin, ground coriander, ground black pepper, garam masala, ground tumeric, ground sweet cinnamon, mild or hot chilli powder and oil in the mixing bowl and stir.
- Set these ingredients aside.
Ingredients for the Cauliflower Tikka Masala
- Cauliflower x 1 large
- Garlic x 3 cloves
- Ginger x 1 inch piece
- Tinned tomatoes x 2 400g tin
- Coconut cream x 100mls
- Green beans x 2 large handfuls
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Quinoa or rice x 300g
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Cut the leaves from the cauliflower and then cut into florets.
- Put the florets into the mixing bowl and cover them in the tikka pasta.
- Put the florets into the baking tray and cook for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Next peel, slice and chop the onion.
- Peel and slice the garlic and ginger.
- Put the large saucepan onto a high heat and add oil.
- Spread the oil around the base of the pan until it is covered in the oil.
- When the pan is hot, add the onion and fry until it starts to soften.
- Then add in the garlic and ginger and fry until these start to soften.
- Pour in the tomatoes and bring these ingredients to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and leave to simmer.
- Cook your rice or quinoa as per the packet instructions.
- When the cauliflower is cooked, add it to the large saucepan.
- Then add in the coconut cream and green beans.
- Sprinkle over salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Stir all of these ingredients together.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Vegan Cauliflower Tikka Masala was a delicious dish and it was very easy to cook too. It’s definitely one I will be cooking again. The tikka masala is also freezable too. So you could make a big batch of this dish and freeze it. If your family are like mine and they don’t like cauliflower then you can utilise your freezer and cook this for yourself. However you decide to eat this meal with, as always, please enjoy.