A little while ago my husband Howard started to enjoy cheese and mango chutney sandwiches. Howard enjoyed this lunch time dish so much he brought a large jar of chutney from a certain wholesalers. It started me thinking that I have never made a mango chutney before. I have made other types of chutney like, onion and pumpkin but never mango. I used to love mango chutney and cheese sandwich too. Plus I do enjoy it with a curry as well.
Although I can’t eat a cheese and mango chutney sandwich, due to a gluten intolerance, I do still enjoy mango chutney with other dishes like curries. I decided to cook the chutney in the slow cooker. I gain so much extra time when I cook in the slow cooker. For me, it feels like the fairies have come and cooked food for us to eat. All I did was simply put all the ingredients into the pot and let it cook slowly. The results were delicious and it’s a recipe I just had to share with you.
Do you like chutney and what’s your favourite? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Measuring jug
- Sterile jar plus lid
- Frozen Mango pieces x 1 500g bag
- Onion x 1 large
- Ginger x 2 inch piece
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Whole cloves x 6
- Cumin seeds x 2 tsp
- Mild chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Apple cider vinegar x 125mls
- Brown or coconut sugar x 150g
- Salt and pepper to your tastes
- First take the frozen mango out of the freezer and let it defrost for a couple of hours.
- Peel, then slice and dice the onion into small pieces.
- Put these into the slow cooker pot.
- Next peel the ginger and slice and dice it thinly.
- Now put the ginger into the cooker pot as well.
- Remove the skin from the garlic and slice it.
- Add in the mango, garlic, cloves, cumin seeds, mild chilli powder, apple cider vinegar, brown or coconut sugar and the salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Stir all these ingredients together and put the slow cooker on high for three hours or low for six.
- Once the chutney is cooked turn the slow cooker off and leave to cool.
- When it has cooled completely put the chutney into the sterile glass jar.
- Store the chutney in a cool, dark place for about a week.
- If you want to try it before hand, remove a spoonful from the slow cooker put it onto a plate and put it into the freezer for thirty minutes.
- After thirty minutes remove it from the fridge and try the chutney.
- It should taste like that in a week.
- In a weeks time serve with a curry or in a cheese sandwich and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Mango Chutney was delicious we ate this condiment with spicy potato cakes. It made a yummy alternative to ketchup. My husband Howard and myself really enjoyed that meal. Howard did say that the chutney reminded him of a fruity sauce. We look forward to hearing what you think. The spicy sweet potato cakes recipe will be up after this one. The best part about this chutney is it will keep for months in a cool, dark place or in the fridge once it’s been opened. It could also be given as a gift or served at a BBQ in the summer months too. However you decide to eat this condiment, as always, please enjoy. Thank you