To be honest with you mushrooms are not one of my favourite foods. I have never really liked this fun-gi, get it fun guy!!! In recent months I have been willing to give shrooms another try. When I was younger my dad would always tell me my brother didn’t like mushrooms so that why I didn’t like them either. I can assure you this is not true and I really don’t think that’s what my taste buds thought either.
Mushrooms are a low calorie source of protein, fibre and they are full of antioxidants. It is thought that mushrooms can help to slow down the process of Alzhiemer’s, heart disease and even cancer. Mushrooms are packed full of minerals and vitamins. Therefore this soup is very nutrient dense and delicious. Again when I was a kid I never thought I’s put yummy and mushrooms together in the same sentence. Honestly it was a great soup and one I will have to remember in the future.
What foods did you not like as a child but like now, if any? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pan
- Stirring spoon
- Mushrooms x 500g
- Onions x 1
- Cannellini beans x 150g dried or 1 400g tin
- Mild, medium or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Ground sweet cinnamon x 1/2 tsp
- Coriander x 1 handful
- Vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the dried beans as per the packet instructions if using them.
- Slice the mushrooms and set aside.
- Peel and slice the onions and set this aside too.
- Put the frying pan onto a high heat and add oil to the base.
- Fry the onions until they start to soften.
- It should take around 3 – 5 minutes.
- Next add in the mushroom and until they start to soften.
- The pan may start to get very hot so turn the heat down and add a little water to stop the food from sticking.
- Now sprinkle over the smoked paprika, ground ginger, mild, medium or chilli powder and ground sweet cinnamon.
- Fry these until until they are well mixed in with the mushroom.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Once cool enough to touch put the frying pan ingredients, coriander and the butter beans into the blender.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and blend all the ingredients together.
- Blend these ingredients until they are smooth.
- Now pour the blender contents into the large saucepan and stir.
- When the soup is warmed through pour into bowls.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Spicy Cream of Mushroom Soup was a big hit with moi! Yes I’m afraid that right. my husband Howard and son Ted aren’t to keen on mushrooms either. When I was cutting the mushrooms for this dish my husband asked if he was going to have to eat them for dinner. I did wan to reply yes but I was feeling to kind that day. Personally I thought this soup was super tasty. The best part is you can freeze all of the ingredients. You could make a big batch and keep it for another occasion. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx