Beans are a great source protein and black beans are a great way to fill up with it. Plus they are packed full of nutrients that can help to aid the body in so many ways. Miso is also a great protein but it is has a lot of beneficial bacteria too. The bacteria in miso can help with gut issues and may help to aid digestion.
The miso paste added the extra flavour and the beans brought that punch. When mixed in with the rice and vegetables it made a great dish that could be served all year round. You can eat it warm in winter and cold in summer.
My husband Howard, son Ted and I enjoyed this meal. It was packed full of flavour and texture. Ted and Howard aren’t the biggest fans of beans but they don’t mind black beans. Therefore the combination of these ingredients not only made this a tasty dish for Veganuary but a very healthy one too.
Beans and rice are a great combination and I’d love to know if you have a favourite recipe? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Vegetable peeler
- Chopping board
- Large saucepan
- Stirring spoon
- Black beans x 300g (dried) or 2 400g tins
- Onion x 1
- Yellow pepper x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Brown rice x 300g
- Vegetable stock or water x 600mls
- Miso paste x 2 tbsp
- Spinach x 1 large handful
- Coriander x 1 large handful
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for the pan
- Cook the black beans as per the packet instructions if using dried beans.
- If using tinned beans drain and rise through the colander.
- Cut the top from the pepper and remove the stalk and the core.
- Slice and dice the flesh of the pepper.
- Peel the courgette and grate it.
- Next peel and slice and dice the onion.
- Put the large saucepan onto a high heat and add oil to the base.
- When the pan is hot add in the onions and fry until they start to soften.
- Add in the courgette and pepper and fry until they start to soften.
- After about 5 minutes the courgettes and peppers should have started to soften.
- If the pan starts to get to hot turn the heat down and add a little bit of water to the base.
- Now add in the rice and fry until it starts to becomes see through.
- Pour over the vegetable stock or water and add in the miso paste.
- Sprinkle over salt and pepper to your taste.
- Bring the pan to the boil and then turn the heat down to low.
- Put the lid on the pan and leave to simmer until all the vegetable stock has soaked into the rice.
- Add in the beans and stir around.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Cut the spinach and coriander up then add to the pan.
- Stir these ingredients around until the wilt down into the rice.
- Then serve with a sprig of fresh coriander and enjoy.
Black Bean Miso Rice was a yummy dish that my little family and I really enjoyed. You can serve this with mash avocado for extra fat or even good quality vegan sausages. Unfortunately this meal can’t be frozen. As well as not being able to freeze it, the dish can not be reheated either. If you do have any leftovers then they would be best eaten the next day cold. As I mentioned earlier, this could make a great meal in the summer. You could cook this in the morning and eat it cold in the evening. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx