Burgers are normally always a huge hit in this house. Therefore I thought meatballs might go down well too and I wasn’t wrong. For me, meatballs like burgers are a simple way to use mince or ground beef. In the past I have made a variety of meatballs but I have never made simple meatballs before now.
My husband Howard and son Ted, who is 8 aren’t the most adventurous eaters. They are both meat and two veg males. Actually more like meat and potato guys in all honesty. Therefore I knew that when I decided to make simple meatballs they would be eaten. The dish is easy to prepare and cook. Plus, for a simple meal, it’s very tasty and one I will be making again soon.
Do you enjoy a meatball or two and if so, what’s your favourite flavour meatballs? Let me know in the comments and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large mixing bowl
- Dinner plate
- Baking tray
- Vegetable peeler
- Stirring spoon
Ingredients for the Meatballs
- Mince beef x 500g
- Onion x 1
- Ground flaxseed x 4 tbsps
- Eggs x 1
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel, slice and finely dice the onion.
- Put the onion into the large mixing bowl.
- Add in the mince beef, ground flaxseed, egg, dried mixed herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Wet your hands under the tap and make sure your hands are damp.
- Scrunch all the ingredients together with your hand.
- When everything is mixed together divide into four parts.
- Take one of the four parts and start to make meatballs from the part.
- It should make about three large or four smaller meatballs.
- Put the meatballs onto the dinner plate and put them into the fridge for at least a couple of hours.
- In at least two hours time preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 5.
- Once the oven has preheated put the meatballs into the baking tray.
- Place the tray into the oven.
- Cook for 25 – 30 minutes or until the meatballs are golden brown.
Ingredients for the sauce
- Garlic x 2 – 4 cloves
- Tomatoes x 2 400g tins
- Carrot x 1 large
- Courgette x 1 large
- Oil for the base of the saucepan
- Peel and slice the garlic.
- Next peel and grate the carrot and courgette.
- Put the sauce pan onto a high heat on the hob.
- Add oil to the base of the pan.
- Once the pan is hot add in the garlic and fry for a couple of minutes.
- If the pan gets to hot turn the heat down slightly.
- Now add in the grated carrot and courgette.
- If the carrot and courgette stick to the base of the pan add a little water.
- Fry these ingredients for a good five minutes or until everything is soft.
- Next add in the tomatoes and turn the heat back up.
- Sprinkle over salt and pepper to your taste.
- Bring all the ingredients to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and leave to simmer.
- Leave on the hob for 30 minutes or so.
- This can be made before the oven is preheated for the meatballs.
- Once the sauce has started to thicken remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- When the sauce has cooled pour into the blender.
- Blend these ingredients until they are smooth.
- Put the sauce back onto a low heat and leave to simmer.
- When the meatballs are cooked and the sauce is thick and creamy add to a carbohydrate of your choice and serve.
- Then enjoy.
Simple Meatballs in a Tomato Sauce was a huge hit in our house. Ted and Howard really enjoyed this dinner and so did I. I prepared this dish in advance of the meal so it made it even more enjoyable for me. All the ingredients in this dish are freezable so you could make this meal in advance and freeze it. Plus any leftovers can be frozen as well. However you decide to eat this dinner, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx