When I thought of this dish it was one of those evenings that I had no plans for dinner. I had a vegetables in the fridge from the week before that I hadn’t used. Also I had leftover pesto from a pizza dish and bacon in the freezer as well. I thought I would throw all of these ingredients together and see what happens.
Many years ago when I was a child I would stay at my nan’s house at the weekends. My nan was a good cook, she didn’t enjoy cooking as much as she enjoyed being in the garden but she was good at it. Nan would always throw ingredients together and I always remember her meal being very tasty. I think this is where I get the inspiration from. One of my Nan’s sayings was, ‘throw it together and see what happens!’ Thankfully with this dish it worked out well and it’s a dinner we will be eating again soon.
Have you ever thrown a meal together and if so what was it? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Baking trays x 2
- Pesto x 1 recipe
- Onion x 1
- Aubergine x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Red pepper x 1
- Tomatoes x 2 – 4 large
- Garlic x 4 – 8 cloves
- Bacon x 6 – 8 rashers
- Olive oil x 2 tbsp
- Pasta x 300g (your choice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan (optional)
- Start by making the pesto.
- Preheat the oven to 180° and add the baking tray in.
- Peel and cut the aubergine into cubes.
- Next next the onion and cut into quarters.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters too.
- Slice the top from the red pepper and remove the stalk, core and seeds.
- Now cut the pepper into large chunks.
- If the oven is preheated, remove the baking tray.
- Add the aubergine, onion, courgette, garlic, red pepper and tomatoes in the baking tray.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Put all the ingredients into the oven and cook for 25 – 30 minutes or until the vegetables start to turn golden brown.
- Preheat the grill to high and put the bacon onto the other baking tray.
- Put the tray under the grill and cook the bacon.
- When the bacon fat starts to turn brown turn it over.
- Once the fat is brown on both sides remove from the grill and leave bacon to cool.
- When the vegetables are golden brown remove from the oven and leave to cool as well.
- Put the pasta on to cook as per the packet instructions.
- Once the vegetables have cooled enough to touch put them into the blender along with the pesto.
- Blend these ingredients together.
- It may need a touch of olive oil to help it blend together.
- Add as much as you need.
- Once the pasta has cooked drain through the colander and set to one side.
- Pour the sauce from the blender into the saucepan and put on a medium heat.
- Heat the sauce through.
- Roughly slice the bacon and put it into the sauce.
- Put the pasta on top and stir it in.
- Serve, add the parmesan (optional) and then enjoy.
Bacon and Roasted Mediterranean Vegetable Pesto and Pasta was a big hit in our house. We all enjoyed this dinner. It was very easy to prepare and cook. Plus the sauce could be made in advance of a meal and frozen. It could make a very quick mid week meal. The sauce could also be served with chicken or turkey if you have any leftover from Christmas this year. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you. xxx