My slow cooker is my saviour. As a busy mum of one I often need the fairies to cook my dinners. Sadly I think the fairies at the end of our garden are on a permanent holiday!!! That’s why I think of the slow cooker as my little cooking fairy. Ok, so it hasn’t learn’t how to grow hands to chop the food before turning itself on to cook. But it does make my life easier.
When I prepare the food for the cooker pot I will often chop all the ingredient the night before and then all I have to do is put the slow cooker on in the morning. Then I let it cook away all day. We quite often eat a bolognese sauce that has been made in the slow cooker with pasta. I felt it was time for a change so decided to try potatoes in the cooker pot too. The potatoes gave the dish an earthy flavour that we really enjoyed. We hope you enjoy it too.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Mince beef x 500g
- Onions x 1 large
- Carrots x 2
- Courgette x 2
- Green beans x 2 handfuls
- Tomatoes x 2 400g tins
- Tomato puree x 2 tbsp
- Beef broth x 250mls
- Dried mixed herbs x 1tsp
- Bay leaves x 2
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Potatoes x 800g
- Parmesan or mature cheddar (optional)
- Start by grating the carrots and courgettes.
- Slice the onions and the garlic.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into 1 inch pieces.
- Put these ingredients into the slow cooker pot.
- Then add the green beans, bay leaves, dried mixed herbs and tommy k or tomato puree.
- Pour over the tomatoes and the bone broth.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir all the ingredients together
- Turn the pot onto high for 3 – 4 hours or low for 7 – 8 hours.
- Once cooked serve and add cheese if necessary, then enjoy.
Slow Cooker Bolognese and Potatoes was a huge hit in our house. My husband Howard, son Ted and myself all really enjoyed this dinner. To be honest, it was like have bolognese sauce on a jacket potato. Howard and Ted ate theirs with parmesan cheese on top. It was a very easy dish to prepare and cook. Plus I didn’t really need any fairies to help me. However you decide to eat this dinner, as always please enjoy. Thank you xxx