Dad’s Saturday Night Minestrone Soup was one of the best meals I ever had and of course, I wanted to share this on my blog, in my book and now on my channel Googie’s Kitchen. It’s an easy meal that is nutritious and full of goodness. Click the links below to watch how I make it.
Saturday Night Minestrone Soup was a big favourite of mine. We would always have it with garlic bread, and for me, the bread was the best part of the meal. However, it would not have been the same without dipping the bread into the soup. The bacon and tomato flavour soup with the crusty garlic bread was so yummy. It was a meal I always looked forward to, but there were not many of my dads meals I didn’t enjoy.
Dad always loved to try new meals and add different flavours to foods. It’s a skill I feel I have acquired from him and he would always make food taste so good. So Saturday Night Minestrone Soup is still a treasured dish and one I will continue to make for years to come.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- Leek x 1
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Carrots x 2
- Courgette x 1
- Cannellini Beans x 1 400g tin
- Bacon x 4 rashers
- Tomatoes x 1 400g tin
- Bone broth or chicken stock x 1 litre
- Bay leaf x 2
- Oregano x 1 tsp
- Tomato puree x 1 tbsp
- Brown rice pasta x 100g
- Spinach x 100g
- Basil x 1 handful (optional)
- Olive oil
- Start by peeling the carrots, slice length-ways in half, then slice the two halves into quarters and then slice thinly.
- Slice the courgette length-ways in half, then slice the two halves into quarters and slice thinly.
- Next slice the leek thinly.
- Peel the skin from the garlic and slice thinly.
- Set the vegetables aside.
- Now slice the bacon.
- Put the large saucepan on a high heat on the hob.
- Add oil and spread it across the base of the pan.
- Once the pan is hot, add the bacon and fry until it turns pink.
- Next add the leek and garlic to the pan and fry until the leek becomes see-through.
- Now add in the carrots and courgettes and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the bone broth or chicken stock and the tomatoes.
- Drain the cannellini beans and add these to the pan.
- Add in the tomato puree, oregano and bay leaves.
- Bring all the ingredients to the boil and then turn the heat down and leave to simmer.
- After 30 minutes, bring the soup to the boil again and add the pasta.
- Once boiling turn the soup down again and leave to simmer.
- Cook the pasta as per the packet instructions.
- A few minutes before the end, add the spinach and the basil.
- Serve with garlic bread and enjoy.
Dad’s Saturday Night Minestrone Soup is a delicious meal that for me brings back fond memories of my Dad in his happy place. The kitchen was the heart of our home and I feel my dad helped with that by cooking fresh food for his family. He spent a lot of time in this room and when he was mobile it was his pride and joy to be in there. I think he loved making this meal and we all enjoyed eating it. A great one to make into batches and freeze too. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, enjoy.
What is your favourite soup and what do you enjoy eating it with? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx