During the week I love quick and simple meals. One pot dinners are ideal and this is one of those dishes. It’s like fast vegan food that you make at home. My husband and son are not so keen on this dinner but I really enjoy it. I have just started to use lentils in my cooking and I think they make a fantastic alternative to meat. Below is a video on how to make this dinner and the recipe.
Quick, simple, easy and healthy is the best kind of meal for mid week. When I don’t have a lot of time during the week and sadly don’t want to spend that long in the kitchen, I need meals that will be simple to cook and still good for my family.
The idea for this dinner came from a combination of different YouTube cooking videos. Yes, I hate to admit it, I’m addicted to YouTube and not just cooking videos. Anyway I was watching a series of vegan cooking videos and this idea just popped up in my head.
For a vegan meal I think this is one of the tastier meals I have cooked. It’s full of flavour and it includes really healthy ingredients. My son was not the biggest fan but my husband really liked this dinner. It’s a great mid week meal that’s healthy and delicious.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large saucepan
- Plastic brush
- Stirring spoon
- Baking tray
- Onion x 1
- Aubergine x 1 large
- Sweet potato x 600g
- Green Lentils x 400g
- Tomatoes x 1 400g tin
- Vegetable stock x 500mls
- Mild, medium or hot curry powder x 1 – 2 tsp
- Coriander x 1 handful
- Flax seed x 4 – 6 tbsps
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Peel the sweet potato and aubergine.
- Cut them into 2 centimetre pieces and put them into the baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over salt to your taste.
- Toss the vegetables in the oil and the salt.
- Place the baking tray into the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile peel and slice the onion.
- Put the saucepan on a high heat and drizzle oil into the base.
- Spread the oil as evenly as possible across the base of the pan.
- When the pan is hot add the onion and fry until it starts to soften and becomes see through.
- Sprinkle over the curry powder and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and vegetable stock.
- Now put the lentils in and stir all the ingredients together.
- Bring to the boil and then turn the heat down.
- Leave to simmer until the twenty minutes has finished on the oven.
- After 20 minutes remove the baking tray and pour in the lentil mixture.
- Chop the coriander and add this in too.
- Stir all these ingredients together.
- Finally sprinkle over the flax seed and put back into the oven for another 20 minutes.
- While the lentil bake is cooking, cut and boil the cauliflower or a vegetable of your choice.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and serve with the cauliflower or vegetable of your choice and enjoy.
Aubergine and Sweet Potato Lentil Bake was a yummy dinner. As I mentioned earlier it was a super speedy meal to cook and it was very filling too. If you are cooking for one, you could make this dish and freeze the leftovers until you want to eat them. Also you could make double of this meal and freeze it. Plus it could also be made with red lentils or a lentil of your choice. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, enjoy.
Do you like lentils and if so what’s your favourite lentil meal? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx