A few weeks ago, when the sun popped out for a moment my husband and I thought it would be a good time to have a BBQ. I’m not the biggest fan of BBQ’s. I hate to admit, it but food cooked quickly on a fire doesn’t seem to agree with my stomach. My husband Howard and son Ted love having BBQ’s and I don’t mind eating one occasionally.
When I was planning the food for this event I found myself thinking about coleslaw. My Dad always made the best coleslaw which I loved. He also used to make his own mayonnaise too. I always remember him making coleslaw to eat with his homemade BBQ burgers.
On this occasion, I couldn’t be bothered to make the mayonnaise. So I decided to take the avocado mayonnaise from my Caesar salad recipe and use it to make a delicious coleslaw. I also made my own homemade burgers and it was like a sunny trip down memory lane for me. Sunshine and memories, ahh bliss.
- Vegetable peeler
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Food processor with grater attachment
- Large salad or mixing bowl
- Measuring jug
- Glass jar with lid
Ingredients for the slaw
- Carrots x 2
- Red cabbage x 1/2
- Large Green Cabbage x 1/4
- Pine nuts x 2 handfuls
Method for the slaw
- Start by peeling the carrot and then set it aside.
- Cut the red cabbage in half and then quarter one half.
- Remove the core from the two quarters and set aside.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the green cabbage.
- Set the food processor up with the grater attachment.
- Now put the cabbage and carrot through the grater.
- Put all of these ingredients into the large mixing or salad bowl, taking out any large cabbage leaves that didn’t grate so well.
- Set the bowl aside.
Ingredients for the dressing
- Olive oil x 50 mls
- Apple cider vinegar x 20 mls
- Avocado x 1/2
- Maple syrup x 2 tsps
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Garlic granules x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method for the dressing
- Measure the olive oil and pour this into the nutribullet cup or blender.
- Next measure the apple cider vinegar and pour it into the cup or blender.
- Scoop out the flesh from half the avocado and put this into the cup or blender.
- Add in the maple syrup, dried mixed herbs and garlic granules.
- Put the lid on and blend until all the ingredients are smooth.
- Now add in the salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend these ingredients again.
- Pour or spoon out the dressing onto the salad.
- Toss all the ingredients together and serve.
- Then enjoy.
Coleslaw with an Avocado Dressing was a scrummy side to eat with a BBQ. Although, I made it on the day of the BBQ and it was nice. However, there were leftovers as it does seem to make tons. I hate to admit it but I felt the taste and texture of the coleslaw were better the next day. So if you are going to make this dish I would make it the day before the BBQ. However you decide to eat this dinner, as always, enjoy. xxx
Do you love coleslaw and if so, what do you like to eat with it? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx