During the week we eat vegan or vegetarian meals but at the weekend I like to cook dinners with meat in. Spaghetti Bolognaise or ‘Spag Bowl’ as I like to call it, is a household favourite here. My Dad made the best ‘spag bowl’ and we all loved it. I’m pleased to share that I have carried this tradition on and my family really enjoy a spaghetti bolognaise too. Below the picture is the video link on how to make it and the recipe is there too.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pan
- Mince beef x 500g
- Onions x 1 large
- Carrots x 2
- Courgette x 2
- Tomatoes x 2 400g tins
- Tommy K or tomato puree x 2 tbsp
- Beef broth x 250mls
- Oregano x 1tsp
- Bay leaves x 2
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Brown rice pasta x 300g
- Parmesan or mature cheddar (optional)
- Start by grating the carrots and courgettes.
- Slice the onions and the garlic.
- Heat the pan on a medium to high heat.
- Add enough olive oil to cover the base of the pan.
- When the pan has heated add the onions and garlic.
- Fry for about 2 minutes then add the mince beef.
- Now fry for a further 5 minutes or until the mince has browned.
- Pour over the beef broth and tomatoes.
- Then add the grated carrots, courgettes, bay leaves, oregano and tommy k or tomato puree.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir all the ingredients into the sauce and then bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and leave to simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Leave 10 minutes at the end to the boil the pasta.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and add the pasta to the sauce.
- Serve and add cheese if necessary, then enjoy.
My son and husband really enjoy eating this dish. It always seems to be a winner in this house. The recipe is easy and simple to follow. Normally it takes me less than an hour to make this dish. Also I make this dish at the weekend and then freeze it. Then I have a quick meal during the week. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, please enjoy!