When we go vegan two or three times a week I have noticed that we tend to increase our vegetable intake. Although not all of us are impressed with eating lots of vegetables I always feel healthier for it. I loved my dad dearly but in the last ten years of his life I watched him in an awful lot of pain. He didn’t like to much veg either. Dad did love his ‘filthy’ food.
Therefore, I think, subconsciously I have made a decision not to go down the same road. Hence, why we have started eating more vegan and vegetarian meals. Plus this is now a trend and, although I hate to go with the majority, on this occasion I think the masses are right. Eating more vegetables and less meat is so much better for our bodies. So bring on the veggies that’s what I say and let’s eat this delicious vegan tagine!
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Small saucepan
- Onion x 1
- Butternut squash x 1 small or 1/2
- Carrots x 2
- Courgette x 1
- Red pepper x 1
- Chickpeas x 1 400g tin
- Dried apricots x 10 – 12
- Ground cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Ground Cumin x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Ground cloves x 1/4 tsp
- Ground black pepper x 1/4 tsp
- Mild or medium chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Garlic granules x 2 tsp
- Oregano x 1 tsp
- Oat milk or vegetable stock x 1 litre
- Kale or spinach x 2 large handfuls
- Quinoa or couscous to serve
- Start by peeling and thinly slicing the carrots, courgette and onion.
- Next peel the butternut squash and cut the top and bottom off.
- Cut the squash in half to reveal the seeds and scoop them out with the spoon.
- Now cut the butternut squash into small pieces and put all these ingredients into the slow cooker.
- Chop the dried apricots into small pieces and add these to the slow cooker.
- Open the tin of chickpeas and drain the water.
- Wash the chickpeas under the tap and put these into the slow cooker too.
- Sprinkle over all the herbs and spices and mixed them into the vegetables.
- Now pour over the stock or milk or a mixture of them both.
- Put the slow cooker onto a high heat for four hours or a low heat for eight hours.
- 30 minutes before the end of the cooking process put the spinach in and let it wilt down.
- Begin to cook the quinoa or couscous as per the packet instructions.
- Once everything has cooked, serve the meal and enjoy.
Vegan Tagine is a yummy way to enjoy lots more vegetables in your diet. It takes minutes to put together in the slow cooker and it will cook at a slow pace all day until you want to eat it. All of the ingredients are freezable. So you could make double and put it into the deep freeze for an even quicker dinner in a few weeks. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, please enjoy! xxx
Do you eat lots of vegetables with your dinner and if so, what’s your favourite combination? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like, comment and subscribe to my channel. Thank you. xxx