My Nan was a very traditional cook and she was not the type of cook to experiment or try something new. She would always make simple dishes that were easy to do. That’s what I loved about my Nan’s cooking, I knew what I was going to get and that made me happy as a child. Nan’s Rice Pudding was always so yummy so I had to include it in my book Gifts from Grandpa and I have now made a video for my YouTube channel Googie’s Kitchen. Plus the recipe for this delicious dish is below. So please go check them out don’t forget to enjoy.
What’s your favourite pudding? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Slow cooker
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pan
Ingredients for the slow cooker
- Pudding rice x 175g
- Sultanas x 50g
- Ground Cardamon x 1 tsp
- Coconut Milk x 1 litre
Ingredients for the frying pan
- Strawberries x 500g
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Honey x 2 tbsps plus extra for drizzling
- Coconut oil x 1 tbsp
Method for the slow cooker
- Put the slow cooker on low.
- Place the rice into a sieve and rinse under cold water.
- Tip the rinsed rice into the slow cooker pot.
- Pour over the milk and stir in the ground cardamon.
- Cover with the lid for 2 and 1/2 hours.
Method for the frying pan
- Towards the end of the rice pudding being cooked, start to hull the strawberries.
- Insert a small knife into the top of a strawberry near the green leaves.
- Using the knife, cut around the outside and back to the start.
- Pull on the green leaves which will take out that part of the strawberry and the stem inside.
- Repeat this process for the rest of the strawberries.
- Once all the strawberries have been hulled, cut them in half.
- Put the frying pan on a high heat and wait until hot.
- Add the coconut oil and spread evenly across the base of the pan.
- When the pan is hot, add the strawberries, cinnamon and honey.
- Fry until the strawberries are soft.
- Now the rice pudding is cooked, serve and add the strawberries to the top.
- Drizzle extra honey and enjoy.
Nan’s Slow Cooked Rice Pudding is my adaptation of my Nan’s dessert. Firstly she would not have used a slow cooker. Secondly, I don’t think she knew about spices like cardamon and cinnamon either. Nan would have used the oven to make this dish. I’m sure if she’d had a slow cooker she would have used it for dishes like this one. It can be enjoyed with any stewed fruit not just strawberries. You could try plums or pineapple too. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, enjoy.
Thank you. xxx