Everyone who lives in the UK will have heard of a digestive biscuit. They are probably one of the most popular biscuits to have at snack time. Since giving up sugar, biscuits are one of the food items (as well as chocolate) I miss the most. So I now thoroughly enjoy making sugar-free snacks like biscuits.
These are filling and healthy. So for me they are a great go to snack. My family love it when I make biscuits especially my husband who is a biscuit monster. These vegan digestives were well received by my little family so, I think, they are well worth a try. Below is the video on how to make them and the recipe too.
What’s your favourite biscuit and have you ever tried to make it? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Baking tray
- Cooling rack
- Gluten free oats x 200g
- Spelt flour x 200g
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon x 1 tbsp
- Ground nutmeg x 1/4 tsp
- Ground cloves x 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla powder x 1/4 tsp
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Salt x 1/2 tsp
- Maple syrup x 125 mls
- Coconut oil x 125 g
- Oat milk or brown rice milk x 60 mls
- Start by mixing all the dry ingredients in the bowl.
- Next put the maple syrup and coconut oil into the saucepan.
- Put on a medium heat and stir until they are combined.
- It should take around 5 – 10 mins.
- Once the ingredients are combined together, leave to cool.
- Then finally add the wet ingredients to the dry ones.
- Mix together and then add in the milk a little at a time until the biscuit mixture sticks together.
- Note; you may need more or less than 60 mls.
- Form a large ball and use your hands to do so if you need to.
- Using the extra brown rice flour, roll out the dough.
- Roll out the dough to about a half centimetre thickness.
- Use the cutter and make your biscuits.
- Put the cut biscuits onto boards or trays.
- Place these in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Place the biscuits on a baking tray and bake for around 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once golden brown, place on a cooling rack and leave to cool.
- Serve and enjoy.
Vegan Digestives are great with a cup of tea. As I mentioned earlier, they are a great go to snack. Although, as I have also mentioned in other biscuit recipes, they are also a great gift for a friend or relative. I like to use large glass jars to store them in as they are airtight and can be easily given away. We get olives in large jars from the supermarket which make great jars for storing biscuits to give away. However you decide to eat these yummy biscuits, as always, enjoy. Thank you xxx