Over the festive season I think I ate my own body weight in food. After 2020, the year that never was, I think everyone should have eaten their own body weight in food. If there ever was a reason to eat far too much it would be the year we have just all had.
In order to counter-balance the huge amount of food I consumed this year I’ve started 2021 by eating the vegetables left in my fridge from Christmas. The other day I found a huge cauliflower. I probably had the best of intentions to use it in my cooking but I just didn’t get round to it. I’m not one to waste food so I decided to use it in these delicious spicy vegan fritters. Well worth a try.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Small mixing bowl
- Measuring jug
- Frying pan
- Fish slice
Ingredients for the cajun spice mix
- Garlic granules x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 2 tsp
- Ground black pepper x 1/2 tsp
- Onion granules x 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper x 1 tsp
- Dried thyme x 1 tsp
- Chilli flakes x 1/2 tsp
- Cauliflower x 1 small
- Chickpea flour x 120g
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Oat milk x 100mls (or a milk of your choice)
- Pinch of salt
- Oil for the frying pan
- Cut the leaves from the cauliflower and then cut into very small pieces.
- Add water to a saucepan and put onto a high heat on the hob.
- Put the cauliflower into the water and bring the pan to the boil.
- Then reduce the heat of the pan and leave to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower through the colander over the sink.
- Leave the cauliflower to cool.
- Mix together the garlic granules, smoked paprika, ground black pepper, onion granules, cayenne pepper, dried thyme, chilli flakes and salt.
- Set this aside.
- Weigh the chickpea flour in the small mixing bowl.
- Add in the baking powder, salt and a teaspoon or two of the cajun spice mix.
- Mix these ingredients together.
- Now pour over the milk and stir everything together until the mixture resembles a pancake mix.
- Finally add in the cauliflower and mix all the ingredients together.
- Until all the cauliflower is covered in the chickpea batter mix.
- Put the pan on a high heat and add oil to the base.
- Wait for the pan to heat up and once hot, pour in a quarter of the mixture.
- When the wrap starts to cook around the outside, flip it over.
- Carefully remove the wrap from the base of the pan.
- It doesn’t matter if it splits it will glue back together again.
- Turn the wrap over and cook on the other side.
- Once the outside of the wrap is cooked on both sides, turn over to check and remove from the pan.
- Pour in another quarter of the mixture and repeat the process for the rest.
- When all are cooked serve and enjoy.
Vegan Cajun Spiced Cauliflower Fritter were delicious and so easy to cook. I serve these yummy fritters with my Spicy Coconut and Cauliflower Soup. It was a super tasty lunch time meal and one I will be eating again. You can freeze the fritters but they do taste better cooked from fresh. I also thought these would be delicious with chips and a salad or my homemade baked beans. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. xxx