The cold weather has finally hit us in the UK. When my family and I woke this morning it actually started to snow. It’s definitely cold in this part of the world at the moment. On cold days like today I love nothing more than warming foods. A delicious dish that will heat you up from the inside.
Plus soups are a great way to stay hydrated and they offer a lot of nutrients. Even during winter we still lose water so eating or drinking soup is a good way to stay on top of those fluids. Now the UK is back in lockdown I don’t think we should hesitate about eating or drinking our vegetables. Veggie’s are a great way to help boost the immune system so it can fight off those nasty bugs. This soup packs a punch with all the vegetables, so definitely one we will be eating again. Below is a video and recipe for you.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large saucepan
- Stirring spoon
- Onion x 1
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Tomatoes x 1 400g tin
- Chicken/vegetable stock or bone broth x 1.5 litres
- Butternut Squash x 1 small
- Carrot x 1
- Yellow pepper x 1
- Mild or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Ground mixed spice x 1/2 tsp
- Black beans x 1 400g tin
- Pasta x 300g
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by peeling the butternut squash, carrots, garlic and onions then chop along with the yellow peppers.
- Put the large saucepan on a medium to high heat and fry until the onions soften.
- Add in the garlic and fry for a further two minutes.
- Next add in the yellow peppers, butternut squash and carrots and keep frying for another two minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock, vegetable stock or bone broth into the large saucepan. Tip: If you don’t have a saucepan that’s big enough then you can use two large pans.
- Sprinkle in the mild chilli powder, ground cumin, ground ginger, ground mixed spice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the black beans and butter beans and bring all these ingredients to the boil.
- Leave on a lower heat to simmer for 20 – 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Once the vegetables are soft, add in the pasta and bring to the boil.
- Now leave to simmer per the packet instructions.
- Once the pasta is cooked, serve and enjoy.
Spicy Black Bean Pasta Soup was a hit with my little family. It’s a great way to use up any leftover veg that you may have in the fridge. The soup is great for these very cold winter days but it’s also a good soup to eat during Spring and Autumn. Plus it’s freezable too! Therefore you could make a big batch and freeze it for another occasion. Then all you have to do when you want to eat the soup is to defrost the soup and heat it up. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy.