When I was a child I would spend the odd weekend or two at my Nan’s house. Nan would always make stew with leftover chicken stock. We would eat it for lunch with a slice of white bread. I always remember my Nan’s stew tasting so good. It was that delicious I would always eat a little bit to much. As a child I remember having to lie down on my Nan sofa for a while afterwards.
Sadly my Nan is no longer here to make her delicious stew so I have to make my own. On the up side, it means I can change the recipe a lot. As I can no longer eat gluten I don’t serve it with with bread anymore. Nowadays I tend to add a lot of different ingredients I don’t think my nan would have thought about putting in her stews. To this one I added spices and the results were just as delicious as my Nan’s, if not better, sorry Nan.
Do you like bread with stew and if so, what type of stew do you enjoy? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Stirring spoon or wooden spoon
- Slow Cooker
- Chicken x 500g
- Onion x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Carrot x 1
- Red pepper x 1
- Tomato x 1 400g tin
- Chicken and vegetable stock x 500ml
- Tomato puree x 2 tbsp
- Tamari or soy sauce x 2 tbsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Mild, medium or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Ground turmeric x 1 tsp
- Ground sweet cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green beans x 2 large handfuls
- Serve with rice or a side of your choice
- Start by peeling and slicing the onion.
- Peel the courgette and slice it.
- Now peel the carrot and slice it.
- Cut the top from the pepper and remove the core and stalk.
- Slice and dice the flesh of the pepper.
- Now peel the butternut squash and slice the squash into 2 centimetre cubes.
- Slice the chicken into 2 inch pieces and put all these ingredients into the slow cooker.
- Pour in the tomatoes and the chicken or vegetable stock.
- Add in the tomato puree and tamari or soy sauce.
- Sprinkle in the smoked paprika, ground ginger, mild medium or hot chilli powder, ground turmeric, ground sweet cinnamon and the dried oregano.
- Add salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Put the lid on and turn the slow cooker on to high for 4 hours and low for eight hours.
- Finally add in the green beans thirty minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Then serve with rice or a naan bread and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Stew was a hit in our house. Howard and Ted ate a big portion of this meal. I think Ted asked for more chicken too. He loves chicken so this is not surprising. I have never told these two about eating stew with white bread but they do enjoy dipping a slice of sourdough bread into the sauce after the meal. We have just gone upmarket with the bread since my nan’s stewing days. The best part is that all the ingredients in this stew are freezable so you can make a big batch and freeze it for another occasion. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy.