Lentils are part of the legume family. They are a tiny bean that grows inside a pod and they come in red, green, brown and black varieties. Lentils are very easy to cook and they are very affordable too. They also make a fantastic healthy alternative to meat. As we don’t eat meat during the week, we will quite often have a lentil meal instead. My husband Howard and son Ted aren’t so keen on my lentil dishes. I love them though and I love experimenting with all sorts of legumes.
These small beans are also packed full of protein, fibre and folic acid. They are great at boosting health and can help with a number of diseases and aliments in the body. Plus lentils are a great food to eat during pregnancy as they contain a lot of folate and folic acid. These minerals help a baby to grow and develop while in the womb. In fact they are great to eat after pregnancy if you are a breast feeding mother and they are really good for weaning the baby too. Lentils are a very versatile food that can help so many people. They also make a scrummy chilli too. Below is a video and recipe for you.
What’s your favourite chilli and do you eat yours with lentils? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Baking tray
- Large saucepan
- Stirring spoon
- Lentils x 300g
- Spring Onions x 1 bunch
- Butternut squash x 1 small
- Carrots x 2
- Coconut drink x 600mls
- Mild or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Ground coriander x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spinach x 2 large handfuls
- Coriander x 1 handful
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Cut the top and the bottom from the butternut squash.
- Peel the skin with the vegetable peeler.
- Next cut the squash lengthways and remove the seeds with the tablespoon.
- Now cut the squash into 2 centimetre pieces and put into the baking tray.
- Peel the carrots and slice them into chunky pieces.
- Put these into the baking tray.
- Drizzle oil over the top and add salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Toss all the ingredients together.
- Once the oven has preheated put the baking tray in and roast the vegetables for 30 – 40 minutes.
- When the vegetables are golden brown, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Add the coconut drink to the bottom of the blender and then put in the cooled vegetables.
- Blend all of these ingredients together.
- Once these ingredients are smooth, set them aside.
- Cut the tops and tails from the spring onion and slice them into half centimetre pieces.
- Put the large saucepan onto a high heat on the hob and pour in enough oil to cover the base.
- When the pan is hot, add in the spring onions and fry until they start to soften.
- Once they are soft, add in the sauce and turn the heat down.
- Sprinkle over the mild or hot chilli powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, dried mixed herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Now add in the lentils and stir all these ingredients together.
- You may need to add a bit more coconut milk.
- Turn the heat back up and bring to the boil.
- Then turn the heat down to a low heat and leave to simmer in the pan.
- The lentils will take around 15 – 20 minutes.
- While the lentils cook, begin to cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
- Once the lentils are soft enough, chop up the coriander and add it to the saucepan.
- Stir all the ingredients together until the coriander wilts down.
- Remove the pan from the heat and serve with the rice or side of your choice.
- Then enjoy.
Roasted Butternut Squash and Lentil Chilli was a big hit in our house the other week. Well, Howard enjoyed it, but Ted sadly wasn’t so keen. I thought it was so yummy and I made enough for leftovers the next day. Plus there was even enough to put in the freezer for another occasion. All the ingredients in this dish are freezable so you could make double and freeze it. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy! Thank you. xxx