When we are at home on a Sunday I love to cook a roast. If it’s a roast chicken I normally always cook it with rosemary and garlic. The other day I didn’t have any chicken in my freezer so I decided to roast the salmon we had with garlic and rosemary. We grow rosemary in the garden so there is always an abundance of it. Rosemary and Garlic have been used in cooking for many years now.
The Romans and the Ancient Greeks believed that rosemary was good for the memory. Romans also believed that rosemary would protect you from evil spirits. They would bury the dead with a sprig of rosemary placed in their hand or hands. Rosemary has an amazing aroma so I wouldn’t mind being buried with it. While I’m living though I have to admit I do love the smell of rosemary cooking with meat or fish and this is one dish I will be eating again. Below is a video and recipe for you.
Have you ever roasted salmon and if so what do you like to roast it with? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Baking tray
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Fine grater
- Large saucepan and lid
- Stirring spoon
Ingredients for the salmon
- Salmon x 4 fillets
- Rosemary x 4 – 8 sprigs
- Garlic x 4 – 8 cloves
- Olive oil
Method for the salmon
- Preheat 180°C or gas mark 5.
- Place the salmon in the baking tray and add the garlic and rosemary.
- Put the salmon in the oven and roast for around 15 – 20 minutes or until the fish flakes away from itself easily.
- At this point you can start to cook the vegetable quinoa.
- Once the salmon is cooked remove and serve with the vegetable risotto.
Ingredients for the vegetable risotto.
- Onion x 1
- Butternut squash x 200g
- Carrots x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Red pepper x 1
- Quinoa x 300g
- Chicken or vegetable stock x 500mls
Method for the Vegetable Quinoa
- Wash the quinoa through twice in a sieve and set aside.
- Chop up the coriander and set this aside.
- Peel and slice then dice the onions.
- Peel the courgette and then grate it on the coarse grater.
- Next peel the carrot and grate it using the coarse grater.
- Remove the skin from the butternut squash and cut into 2 centimetre pieces.
- Cut the top from the red pepper and remove the stalk and core.
- Slice then dice the flesh of the pepper.
- Put the saucepan on the hob and add oil to the base.
- When the pan is hot, add in the onions and fry until they become soft.
- Now add in the courgettes and carrots and fry these for a few minutes.
- Next add in the butternut squash and red pepper and fry for a further few minutes.
- Add in the quinoa and fry for another minute.
- Then pour over the vegetable or chicken stock.
- Pour enough stock to cover the quinoa and then about 2 centimetres above that.
- Turn the heat back up and bring all the ingredients to the boil.
- Add in salt and pepper to your tastes.
- When the ingredients are at boiling point, turn the heat down and leave to simmer on a low heat.
- Once all the liquid has disappeared from the pan remove from the heat.
- Then serve with the salmon and enjoy.
Oven Baked Salmon, Rosemary and Garlic with Vegetable Quinoa was a big hit in our house. My husband Howard and son Ted really enjoyed this dish. To be honest I wasn’t sure how this would taste. Rosemary, garlic and salmon are strong flavours on their own. I did wonder what they would taste like together. They seemed to work well and there were no complaints at our dinner table. Hopefully there won’t be any complaints at your table either. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx