My little family and I generally tend to eat meat at the weekend. Plus I also like to buy our meat in bulk and store it in the freezer. We always tend to eat through the chicken and pork first then move onto the beef. I’m always looking for new ways to cook mince beef. We love a chilli, spaghetti bolognese or a burger but occasionally I like to make different meals we wouldn’t normally try.
In recent years I have made a mince beef hash which my husband Howard, son Ted and I really enjoyed. The other day I was thinking about making this dish again. We hadn’t eaten the meal in a while so I thought it would be good one to eat for dinner. As I was standing at the pantry wondering what herbs to use it suddenly dawned on me that I should use spices in the dish as well. The results were amazing and we all enjoy this dinner.
What’s your favourite mince beef dish? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Leek x 1
- Butternut squash x 200g
- Carrot x 1 large
- Tomatoes x 1 tin 400g
- Potato x 800g
- Mince beef x 500g
- Dried beans x 200g or 1 400g tin
- Mild, medium or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Ground sweet cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Oregano x 1 tsp
- Bone broth x 500mls
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spinach or kale
- Cook the beans as per the packet instructions, if using dried beans.
- Drain and wash the beans through the colander, if using tinned beans.
- Start by peeling and slicing the carrots and courgettes.
- Next peel the butternut squash with the potato peeler.
- Cut in half length ways and scoop out the seeds with the spoon.
- When all the seeds have been removed cut the squash into small 2 centimetre cubes.
- Next peel and cut the potato into 2 inch cubes as well.
- Peel and slice the onion and put all the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle over mild, medium or hot chilli powder, smoked paprika, ground ginger, ground cumin, ground sweet cinnamon and oregano.
- Pour over the bone broth and tomatoes.
- Put in the mince beef in and stir all the ingredients together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the slow cooker on high for 3 – 4 hour or low for 6 – 8 hours.
- If using cooked beef, cut it into inch pieces and add thirty minutes before the end.
- Five minutes or so before the end of the cooking time add in the spinach and let it wilt down.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Chilli Mince Beef Hash was a huge hit in our house. We all enjoyed this dish and all the plates were cleaned by the end of the meal. It’s great dish for a busy day as all the ingredients are put into the slow cooker and can be left to cook away all day. Plus you can batch cook this meal. Therefore you could make double of this dish and freeze the leftovers. If there is any leftovers!!!! However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx