Quick meals during the week are simply the best ones. As I have mentioned before in my blog, I like nothing more than simple and easy during the week. Homemade Pesto is one of those meals. Although it can be a bit time consuming, it’s easy to make and it could be made on the weekend, then frozen ready for an even quicker mid week meal. I explain how to make this in the recipe below and on my NEW YouTube channel Googie’s Kitchen. Check the link below for more details.
- Equipment needed
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- Baking tray
- Measuring Jug
- Food processor
- Red pepper x 2 large
- Tomatoes x 200g
- Basil x 1 large handful
- Olive oil x 80mls plus extra for drizzling
- Cashew nuts x 100g
- Garlic x 3 – 4 cloves
- Parmesan cheese x 60g (optional)
- Salt x 1 – 2 pinches for tomatoes and red peppers
- Preheat the oven to 200º and put the baking tray in at the same time.
- Next chop the pepper into quarters and remove the seeds and stalk.
- Once the oven is preheated take the baking tray out and add the tomatoes, pepper and garlic.
- Then drizzle over with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes or until the tomatoes start to burst with juice.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- When the pepper and tomatoes have cooled, add them to the food processor along with the basil, olive oil, cashew nuts, garlic and a little more salt and pepper.
- Blend for a good five minutes and serve with a cooked pasta of your choice!
We normally serve this with brown rice pasta and a salad. It’s a great meal to eat hot or cold so makes a good packed lunch the next day. This is a good vegan meal that could be turned into a vegetarian meal with a bit of parmesan or you could add a bit of chicken, bacon or salmon for those meat lovers. In this house, we use any leftover pesto on pizza too. It will keep in the fridge for about two to three days so if you make too much it can always be eaten up. As always, if you’re giving this a go, please enjoy!