My dear old Dad was a brilliant cook and this is one of those recipes I can completely credit to him. Whenever he made a roast dinner we would normally always have steamed cabbage. My dad’s steamed cabbage was the best and he had a few top tips for making it taste delicious. Nowadays if we have a roast dinner I will normally always cook steamed cabbage and I will always use my Dad’s top tips too. Below are the blog and video on how to make The Best Steamed Cabbage so enjoy.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large saucepan
- Stirring spoon
- Small cabbage x 1
- Sesame seed oil x 2 tbsps
- Tamari or soy sauce x 2 tbsps
- Remove any leaves from the outside of the cabbage that may have been damaged.
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core.
- The core will be the white part at the bottom of the cabbage.
- Slice at a right angle above the white part and it will remove it.
- Next slice the cabbage and the cut 1 centimetre pieces along the slices.
- Put the chopped cabbage into the colander.
- Add boiling water from the kettle to the large saucepan and put the colander on top.
- Please make sure the colander sits on top of the pan and not in the water.
- Place the pan on a medium heat on the hob, put the lid on top of the cabbage and steam for about 20 minutes.
- Towards the end of the cooking process remove the lid and add the sesame seed oil and tamari or soy sauce.
- Mix all these ingredients together with a spoon.
- Serve with a roast dinner of your choice.
The Best Steamed Cabbage is a great way to make a boring vegetable appetising. It also adds extra zing to a roast dinner. My husband and I use tamari instead of soy sauce because it’s gluten free. Plus it’s tamari tastes the same, if not better than soy sauce. In our family we love a roast dinner and I think my Dad was an expert at cooking one. He knew a lot about flavour and how to use it to make a meal taste great. These simple ingredients make this cabbage dish taste so much better. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, enjoy.
What vegetables do you enjoy with your roast dinner? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx