Easy meals are my favourite type of dinner in the middle of the week. I have a small amount of time in the evening, so I need easy and simple. For me, this meal is so easy I love it. However, it does take a time to cook. I like to slow cook my brown rice as I find it has more flavour and texture. So I tend to prepare and cook the dish. Then I leave it on the hob to simmer gently while I get on with a few evening jobs. It suits me perfectly and everyone in my family enjoys this dinner. So I thought I would share it with you. I have uploaded a NEW video to my YouTube channel Googie’s Kitchen about how to make this delicious dinner. Plus the blog post is below too.
What rice dishes do you make at home? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Large Saucepan
- Small saucepan
- Stirring spoon
- Vegan sausages x 8
- Butter beans x 2 400g tins
- Onion x 1
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Red pepper x 2
- Courgettes x 2
- Tomatoes x 2 400g tins
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Mild or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Rice x 200g
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spinach x 4 large handfuls
- Oil for the pan.
- Start by cooking the vegan sausages as per the packet instructions.
- When they are cooked leave them to cool.
- Remove the core from the pepper and slice into thin strips.
- Peel the courgette and slice them.
- Next peel and slice the onion and garlic.
- Pour the rice into the colander and rise it under a tap.
- Now put the rice into the saucepan and pour water in until it reaches the crease of your middle finger.
- Put the pan on the hob and set to a high heat.
- Put the lid on, bring to the boil and once boiling turn the heat down to a low temperature.
- Leave the rice to simmer until all the water has dissolved.
- Do not remove the lid during the cooking time.
- While the rice is cooking put the large saucepan on a high heat.
- Add oil to the pan and spread as evenly as possible across the base.
- When the pan is hot add the onion and fry until it becomes translucent.
- Then add in the garlic and fry for a further two minutes.
- Finally add in the courgettes and peppers and continue to fry until they soften.
- Sprinkle over the herbs and spices.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes.
- Drain the tinned butter beans through the colander and pour these into the large pan too.
- Bring everything to the boil and then leave to simmer.
- Cut the sausages into small pieces and then add to the pan.
- Once the rice has cooked put it into the large pan and stir all the ingredients together.
- Stir in the spinach and let in wilt down.
- Remove the pan from the heat and serve immediately and enjoy.
Easy Vegan Spanish Rice was a yummy dish that fed my little family. Unfortunately with rice you shouldn’t really eat it the next day. It’s not so good for the stomach so we halved the ingredients and ate this on the night. However, if you wanted to make this dish even quicker you could make the sauce at the weekend and freeze it. All you have to do in the week is heat the sauce and cook the rice and sausages. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, enjoy. Thank you. xxx