Even though the weather is getting warm I still love a warm salad. Although the days are heating up, the evenings are still a little chilli. So eating a warm salad for dinner at this time of year is my idea of bliss. When I start to eat more salads I realise that winter is almost over and summer is on it’s way.
When I go to the supermarket or my local farm shop I love to see beetroot on the shelves. It reminds me that spring is finally here and the warm weather will be on it’s way as soon as possible. So this year I decided to try it in a salad with smoked mackerel. It was so good I had to share it with you.
What reminds you of spring? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Baking tray
- Plastic brush
- Glass jar or small mixing bowl and fork
Ingredients for the warm salad
- Smoked mackerel x 4 pieces
- Onion x 1
- Beetroot x 1
- Butternut squash x 1 small
- Carrots x 1
- Tomatoes x 4 large
- Olive oil x 2 tbsp
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds x 1 tsp
- Butter beans x 2 400g tins
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and put the baking tray in.
- Peel the butternut squash and beetroot.
- Cut the vegetable into 2 centimetre chunks.
- Peel the onion and cut into 2 centimetre chunks too.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and place all the chopped vegetables in.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and then brush the oil over the vegetable until they are all as evenly coated as possible.
- Sprinkle over the cumin seeds and the salt and pepper to taste too.
- Then put the tray back into the oven and cook for about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are a golden brown colour remove from the oven.
- Leave to cool for about 30 minutes.
Ingredients for the salad dressing
- Olive oil x 120mls
- Tamari x 40mls
- Lime juice x 1 juice and zest
- Honey x 2 tsp
- Fresh coriander x 2 tbsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method for the salad dressing
- Put the olive oil, tamari, lime juice and zest and honey into the glass jar.
- Cut the corriander and put it into the glass jar or small mixing bowl.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the lid on the glass jar and shake.
- Or mix the ingredients together in the small bowl.
Method for putting the salad together
- Once the vegetables are golden brown, remove the tray from the oven.
- Pour over the salad dressing and mix these ingredients together.
- Divide the salad between four plates.
- Put one of the smoked mackerel pieces on each plate.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Warm Roasted Vegetables and Smoked Mackerel Salad was a delicious dinner. I took the leftovers to my mum who also really enjoyed this meal. If you don’t have smoked mackerel or can’t get it you could use a piece of mackerel or even salmon to eat with this dish. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx