My five year old son Ted is a huge fish fan and the excitement for this food is what I want to encourage. Therefore I’m always searching for new fish recipes and I try to think of dishes he would love to eat. Personally, I’m so pleased he likes fish as I know lots of children don’t tend to eat enough of it.
Prawns are one of Ted’s favourite dinners and he is also a fan of garlic as well. Plus, he doesn’t mind eating a stir fry too. So I decided to combine all three of these ideas to make a Garlic Prawn Stir Fry. It was so yummy that I think my son may have even eaten a few of the vegetables too. Ted is not a vegetables fan either so this was a huge bonus for me. Below is a video and recipe for you.
What’s your favourite Chinese meal and do you make it from scratch? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. xxx
- Sharp Knife
- Chopping Board
- Large saucepan
- Mixing bowl
- Frying pan or wok
- Stirring spoon
- Uncooked prawns x 500g
- Spring onions x 1 bunch
- Garlic x 4 cloves
- Carrots x 2
- Yellow Pepper x 1
- Broccoli x 1 head
- Tommy K or tomato puree x 2 tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar x 2 tbsp
- Tamari x 2 tbsp
- Honey x 2 tbsp
- Brown rice or long grain rice x 300g
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
- Cut the broccoli into small florets and put in a saucepan of boiling water.
- Cook until they fall off the fork and set aside.
- The broccoli should take around 5 – 10 minutes to cook.
- Top and tail the spring onions and then slice them into 1/2 centimetre pieces.
- Remove the skin from the garlic and slice it.
- Peel the carrots and top and tail them, then slice length ways until they resemble thin battens.
- Slice the top from the red pepper and remove the green stalk and seeds.
- In a small mixing bowl add the tommy k or tomato puree, apple cider vinegar, tamari and honey and mix together.
- Set the mixture aside.
- Put the frying pan or wok on a high heat and add oil.
- Spread the oil around the base of the pan as evenly as possible.
- When the pan is hot add in the spring onions and fry until they start to soften.
- Next add in the garlic and fry for a further couple of minutes.
- Now add in the carrots and yellow pepper and again fry for a few minutes.
- Or if you like the vegetables softer, fry for a little longer, but turn the heat down.
- Add in the prawns and cook until they turn pink.
- Finally add in the sauce and stir until it covers the ingredients.
- Then remove from the heat immediately.
- Serve with the rice and broccoli and enjoy.
Garlic Prawn Stir Fry was so quick and easy to do. If you’re like me and want to save yourself time when it comes to dinner you could prepare the vegetables and sauce the day before. Then all you have to do is cook the meal. Personally I would freeze this dish as I’m never sure about freezing prawns. Although it’s so simple I don’t think you need to keep extra in the freezer. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, enjoy.