A couple of months ago I decided to make tuna and olive quesadillas for dinner. They were a big hit with my family and it was one meal we all really enjoyed. Therefore I decided to experiment with different ingredients. Quesadilla’s are a mexican dish that is normally made with a thin dough or tortilla. The quesadilla’s are filled with a Mexican cheese and other meat or vegetable fillings. Then folded over on itselfs and cooked on a griddle or in a frying pan.
This delicious savoury dinner is a work in progress in Mexico and there are many different varieties of this dish. It’s a cheap meal that is sold in lots of restaurants all over the world. As quesadillas are always developing in Mexico, I’m hopefully going to continue growing my quesadilla repertoire. So watch this space. For now you can enjoy this yummy meal.
Do you cook quesadillas and if so what is your favourite filling of choice? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping Board
- Large frying pan
- Stirring spoon
Ingredients for the refried beans
- Spring onions x 1 bunch
- Garlic granules x 1 tsp
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Dried oregano x 1 tsp
- Dried black beans x 200g
- Tomato puree x 1 tbsp
- Tamari x 1 tbsp
- Water x 50 ml or more
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for the pan
Method for the refried beans
- Cook the black beans as per the packet instructions.
- Cut the tops and the tails from the spring onions.
- Slice the spring onions into 1/2 centimetre pieces.
- Drain the black beans through the colander.
- Put the frying pan onto a high heat and add oil to the base of the pan.
- Tilt the pan to spread the oil across the base.
- When the pan is hot, add the spring onions and fry until they start to soften.
- Add in the beans and continue to fry.
- Sprinkle over the ground cumin, garlic granules and dried oregano.
- Now add in the tomato puree and tamari too.
- Then add in salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Continue to fry the black beans until they turn mushy.
- Once the beans are mushy, remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- When the beans have cooled, put them into the nutribullet and add the water.
- Blend the beans until they are smooth-ish.
- More water may need to be added.
- If so, add a little at a time until the beans are at a consistency you will eat.
- Finally set the beans aside.
Ingredients for the Quesadillas
- Beef x 2 180g tins
- Onion x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Red pepper x 1
- Refried beans
- Cheese or cashew nut cream cheese x 200g or as much as you like.
- Sweet Potato Wraps or Wholemeal Wraps x 8
- Peel and thinly slice and dice the onion.
- Cut the top from red pepper and remove the core and the stalk.
- Slice and dice the pepper.
- Next peel the courgette and grate the flesh.
- Put the large pan on to a high heat and add oil to the base.
- When the pan is hot add in the onions and fry until they start to soften.
- Add in the beef and fry until it turns a golden brown colour.
- The pan may get a little to hot if so, add a little bit of water and turn the heat down.
- Then add in the red pepper and courgette and fry for a further few minutes.
- Pour over the black beans and mix everything together.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle it over the wrap.
- Alternatively make the cashew nut cream cheese and spread it over the wrap.
- Put the beef mixture onto one side of the wrap and then fold it over.
- Place another pan on a high heat on the hob and add oil.
- Once the pan is hot add in the beef quesadilla and fried until golden brown on both sides.
- Repeat this process until all of the wraps are cooked.
- The base can be easily lifted with the fish slice to check the underside.
- Flip the Quesadilla over and wait until that side becomes golden brown.
- Again the base can be easily lifted with the fish slice to check the underside.
- Once cooked, repeat the process until all the quesadillas are cooked.
- Finally serve and enjoy.
Beef and Homemade Refried Black Bean Quesadilla’s were a big hit and we all loved this meal. Personally I wouldn’t freeze this meal if you have any leftovers. Although you could make extra of the filling and put it into the freezer for another occasion. Plus the black bean sauce could be made in advance of this meal and frozen. It was such a good meal my son Ted actually asked for leftovers the next day. He NEVER ask for leftovers. Unfortunately for Ted I had frozen the other half of this meal a quick meal during the week. So no leftovers for Ted. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you.