The sunshine finally feels like it’s on the way. The days have started to get longer and the sun is starting to rise earlier every day. At this time of the year it almost feels like the beginning of the year. Now is Ayurvedic calendar is the time to start detoxing the body. The Ayurvedic calendar suggests Spring and Autumn for detoxing. It’s not to hot nor cold in these seasons.
Soup is a brilliant way to detox the body. The theory behind soup cleanses is that by focusing on feeding the body nutrient-rich broths and vegetables in an easy to eat way it might help balance the digestive system. Therefore soups in Spring time are the perfect way to celebrate the sunshine and flowers that are now on their way. Personally, I think chickpeas and potatoes are also a great way to celebrate too. We loved this soup and we hope you will too. Below is a video and recipe for you.
What do you love about Spring? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Stirring spoon
- Onion x 1
- Dried Chickpeas x 200g
- Potatoes x 800g
- Carrot x 1
- Butternut squash x 1 small
- Spinach x 1 handful
- Tomatoes x 1 400g tin
- Vegetable stock x 600mls or (chicken stock or bone broth if not vegan)
- Bay leaves x 2
- Dried oregano x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Weigh and measure the chickpeas.
- Soak them overnight in cold water in the fridge.
- When you want to cook the chickpeas drain them through the colander and rinse.
- Put them into a large saucepan and add enough water to cover them and about 2 inches more.
- Add baking powder to the water and salt.
- Next turn the hob onto high and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling turn the heat down and reduce to a simmer.
- Leave on the hob until the chickpeas are soft.
- Depending on how old they are will depend on how long they take to soften.
- The baking powder will help to soften them a bit faster.
- When I cook chickpeas they do normally take around thirty to forty minutes to soften.
- If you haven’t got the time then you can always use tinned instead.
- Put the chickpeas into the slow cooker pot.
- Peel, slice and dice the onion.
- Next peel the potatoes and cut them into 1 inch pieces.
- Now peel the carrot and butternut squash.
- Then cut these vegetables into 1 centimetre pieces and put all these ingredients into the pot as well.
- Pour in the tomatoes and stock. Or chicken stock or bone broth if not vegan.
- Add in the bay leaves, dried oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir all these ingredients together with the spoon.
- Turn the slow cooker on for 2 -3 hours on high or 5 – 6 hours on low.
- When the soup has finished cooking remove the lid and add the spinach.
- Let it wilt down in the pot.
- Then serve with cheesy bread or my chickpea flour wraps and enjoy.
Vegan Slow Cooker Chickpea and Potato Soup was a delicious. It was an easy soup for me to cook. My little family also really enjoyed eating this soup. The best part is all the ingredients are freezable so you could make a big batch and freeze any leftovers. They can be eaten on another occasion. However you decide to eat this dish as always please enjoy. Thank you xxx